Search

Genesis Simple Edits is Closed

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
I recently installed a new WordPress blog and went to search for the Genesis Simple Edits plugin to edit my site's footer and couldn't find it with the internal search feature. Then, I used Google to locate the StudioPress plugins list here:

https://www.studiopress.com/plugins/

I found the Simple Edits plugin, but when I clicked the link to to the information page, I was presented with a notice telling me the plugin was permanently closed.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/genesis-simple-edits/

I have used this plugin for years to change the footer information on every site I've owned as well as edit the information that's shown above and below single posts as well as posts on the archive pages. How do I now edit that information?

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
Yes, you are correct. Simple Edits is gone forever, according to StudioPress. The reality is that there's no need for it. It only allowed you to edit a few areas anyway. Those areas are now handled in the Customizer that's built right into WordPress. This is actually a positive development because having to go off and find a plugin to update such common and simple areas was always a little bit weird. It was clunky. With the Customizer, these edits, as well as all others like them, are contained in one place. It's so much better.

For anyone who has Simple Edits installed on their WordPress website or blog, you may as well delete it (copy and paste your custom code in a text file before you delete the plugin - you'll need that code in a moment). After it's gone, head into your admin panel and navigate to Appearance > Customize > Theme Settings. Inside the Theme Settings area, you'll see further options.

wordpress-customizer-theme-settings-area.gif

The two areas that the Simple Edits plugin used to handle can now be handled in Singular Content and Footer. As for the footer, you generally want to remove the theme information and link back to the theme website and instead place your own information and link there. And as for the singular content, I believe this is what's there by default:

Meta Entry (Above Content)
[post_date] By [post_author_posts_link] [post_comments] [post_edit]

Meta Entry (Below Content)
[post_categories] [post_tags]

The below content area is fine, but for the above content, I change things so they look like this:

[post_date] By [post_author] [post_comments] [post_edit]

This removes the link to the author archive page, which I have redirected back to the homepage anyway via the Yoast SEO plugin.

As you can see, you can still edit the same information, but from a different place. One that makes more sense.