Search

How to Disable the Featured Image in WordPress Archives

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
I operate a WordPress blog and website where the blog images I upload are of random sizes. On all other blogs I've operated, I have always kept the images I upload to posts of uniform size. With these other blogs, I didn't mind having the featured image show above the blog title and excerpt on the homepage, categories, and tag pages. Now though, since the images I use are small, large, and everything in between, those archive pages look terrible. The excerpt tries to shift the images to the left and wrap the text around them. It's horrible. I'd rather just turn the featured images off altogether. Does anyone know how to do that? I'm using the Mai Delight theme from StudioPress. Thanks.

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if this setting is theme specific, but you can now turn the featured image off in the archives by simply unchecking a box. I'll get to that in a moment. A few years ago, you actually had to edit the WordPress code. Take a look at this post:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-remove-featured-image-from-archive-pages/

Today (hopefully among all themes), things are much more simple. To disable the featured image from appearing on the archive pages, navigate to Appearance > Customize and then once inside the Customizer, click on Theme Settings.

wordpress-customizer-theme-options.gif

One inside the Theme Settings area, click on Content Archives.

wordpress-customizer-content-archives.gif

So basically, you'll be navigating from your admin panel to Appearance > Customize > Theme Settings > Content Archives. When you make it inside the Content Archives area, all you need to do is uncheck the Display the Featured Image? box.

wordpress-customize-display-featured-image-setting.gif

When you've done that, click the Publish button up top and you'll be all set.