Search

Grammar Plugins for WordPress?

• Thread starter WendyMay
  • Start date
WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
I’ve been seeing the Grammarly commercial a lot on Youtube and I got to thinking that maybe I should be using something like it for when I write on my blog. It’s a WordPress blog, so I’m wondering if there’s a plugin or something that I could use for free. Any suggestions would be helpful. I’m simply trying to catch any spelling and grammar mistakes I make before publishing my posts.

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
Hi – I’ve been using Grammarly for a while now and I think it’s pretty good. I’m using the free version and it’s better than I thought it’d be. I’m quite pleased. I’ve even learned a bit in reviewing its suggested corrections.

Grammarly uses your Chrome browser to scan your blog, so you won’t need any plugins at all. All you need to do is write your post and then you’ll see the small green round Grammarly logo at the bottom of the post. You’ll also see anything that’s suspicious underlined in red. Roll over those sections to view what’s being suggested by Grammarly. The only problem you’ll face is if you’re using a different browser. I’m not sure if it works with Microsoft Edge or Firefox. Downloading Chrome is easy enough though. It’s slick and fast.

To install Grammarly, visit their website and click the Install buttons or links. They’re all over the place. You can’t miss them.

If you don’t like Grammarly for some reason, you can use alternative that comes in the form of a WordPress plugin.

Jetpack has recently incorporated a plugin called After the Deadline that can help out when it comes to grammar and spell checking. This plugin is completely customizable per user and it’s also quite powerful.

Ginger is another grammar checking plugin. It you look this one up on Google, you’re bound to find a ton of “Ginger vs. Grammarly” posts and pages that discuss the pros and cons of each. You’ll need to make the decision for yourself as to which one is better as I’m not up to speed on the specifics. This is also available as an app for Chrome. Actually, all of these are now, so that might be your best bet. You won’t need to install the plugin if you’re writing in Chrome or with Windows.

Hemingway is another one I’ve heard of too. I’m not sure about this one though, because I’ve heard varying accounts of its functionality. Plus, it keeps getting better as time passes.

Let me know which one you decide on if you decide on any at all.

15Katey

15Katey

Reaction Score
I’ve been using the Grammarly extension for a while now and I love it. It does like to add the Oxford comma a lot, which I hate, but otherwise it’s a very good grammar tool. It’s pretty interactive as well because Grammarly sends out emails telling you how you’re doing against others who are using the service. Of course they try to sell the premium membership too, but I think I’m happy with the free version for now.

I actually just wrote a post about a small bug that has to do with the Grammarly extension in Chrome when using WordPress. Apparently, the format bar disappears when writing a post and I have to scroll all the way to the top of the editor to use it. It’s very annoying. It went away when I turned the extension off. Otherwise, it’s very good. I’m just not sure I want to turn it back on again with this bug going on. I don’t know if it’s the fault of the Grammarly people or the WordPress plugin people.

WordPress Bug with Grammarly?​

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed a small bug when using WordPress with the Grammarly extension installed in the Chrome browser. I’m currently using the WordPress Classic Editor plugin because I don’t like using the new block editor. I recently installed the Grammarly extension in Chrome and ever since I did, I noticed that the text format bar doesn’t stay fixed as I write my posts and scroll down the page now. The format bar used to stay fixed (float) to the top of the editor and when I needed to bold, italicize, add a link or add an image, all I would need to do is move my mouse upward. Now, I have to scroll all the way back up to the top of my post to do any of those things. Well, that’s not entirely true. For some strange reason, the Media button stayed fixed on the page, but that’s it.

I turned the Grammarly extension to the “Off” position in Chrome and now the editor and format bar are back to normal. I’m just wondering if I’m alone in this. Thanks!