How Can I Clear my DNS Cache in Chrome & Windows?

• Thread starter Phoenix1
  • Start date
Phoenix1

Phoenix1

About a day ago, I updated the DNS for my domain name to a new web host and I can't see any change yet. The domain name still points to the old server. I'd like to disconnect that one and close the account at that hosting company, but I don't want to do that until I'm sure my transfer process has gone smoothly.

From what I've been reading online, the DNS propagation may have already taken place, but the DNS cache in my Chrome browser and in my computer may be old. I think those update every day or so. Or every 72 hours or something.

Can anyone tell me how I can flush or clear the DNS cache for Chrome and Windows? I'm using Windows 10, if that helps. Thank you.

KristinaW

KristinaW

This is sort of a tricky situation because as many times as you flush your browser's cache, you might not see any difference. The same is true for your operating system. I have faced the same problem in the past that you're facing right now. And I did the same thing you're doing - searching around trying to figure out how to clear my browser's and computer's cache. The problem was, no matter how many times I cleared my cache, nothing ever happened. I've had to wait the full 72 hours in some cases. Other times, the change was much faster. Oddly enough, at times, I've had to wait days to see an updated DNS in Google Chrome, but only minutes in Firefox. I still haven't figured out why that was because I flushed the Chrome cache many times.

I'll first tell you how to clear your Chrome and Windows cache and then I'll give you a quick tip that'll show you how to clear the Google Public DNS. That may help a lot.

How to Clear Chrome DNS Cache​

To clear the DNS cache in your Chrome browser, go ahead and open your browser up. Then, copy and paste this into the address bar and press the Enter key:

chrome://net-internals/#dns

When you do this, you'll see a page appear that looks like this:

google-chrome-clear-dns-cache.gif

If you click the Clear Host Cache button, you'll clear the cache.

How to Clear Windows 10 DNS Cache​

Flushing the DNS cache for Windows is almost just as easy as the process above. To accomplish this, you'll need to access the command prompt. To access the prompt, navigate to Start > Windows System > Command Prompt.

windows-command-prompt-navigation.gif

Once you have access to the command prompt, go ahead and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

Once done, press the Enter key on your keyboard. After you do that, you should receive a success message like this:

windows-command-prompt-flush-dns.gif

How to Clear the Google Public DNS​

Like I said above, clearing the DNS cache on my computer hasn't always worked for me in the past. Now, I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but one time I cleared the Google Public DNS and after a minute or so, I was able to see the new website (on the new host) in Chrome when I browsed to it. Perhaps the normal process just worked its way through or perhaps by flushing Google's Public DNS, I actually cleared something that mattered. Who knows. Give it a try though.

I'll leave links for two ways to access this cache:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/cache
https://dns.google/cache

Enter your domain name and press the Flush Cache button to see what happens.

flush-google-public-dns-cache.gif

Let me know how it goes.

How Can I Clear my DNS Cache in Chrome & Windows? was posted on 05-22-2021 by Phoenix1 in the Servers & Hosting forum.