Search

How to Play Back Photos in Canon Rebel T6i DSLR Camera

• Thread starter CraigHardy
  • Start date
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
I recently helped write a post that talked about how best to review your photos directly after taking them with your Canon Rebel T6i camera, or any Canon Rebel DSLR camera for that matter (like the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i and the T7i). To read that post, please click through this link below.

How To Change Image Review Time On a Canon Rebel DSLR Camera

In today’s post, I’ll be discussing what options you have available to you once the “review” phase has passed. How can you play your photos back, one by one? How can you delete your photos? How can you view more information about each one taken? These questions and more like them will be answered below.

How To Enter Photo Playback Mode​

Entering playback mode is very simple. Canon created a nice big button just for this task. If you take a look towards the right of the rear LCD screen, you’ll see a button towards the bottom of the camera with a Play symbol on it. Press that button once and you’ll be in your new mode.

playback-mode-button.jpg

Playing Back Your Photos​

To actually play back and review the photos that you’ve taken, while in playback mode, you can either touch the LCD screen itself and swipe your finger to the left or to the right. That’s probably the easiest method I can think of. Otherwise, you can use the left and right buttons that are located to the right of the LCD screen on the back of the camera. The left button controls the photos taken previously when compared to the current active photo and the right button controls those photos taken later.

arrow-buttons.jpg

Viewing Photograph Information​

While in playback mode, you have the opportunity to review some of the information the camera used and has captured regarding the photo your viewing. Some of this data might include aspects of the camera’s settings, such as shutter speed, aperture, various settings that are turned on and off, photo number and the histogram, just to name a few. To see this information, all you need to do is press the Info button that sits to the left of the viewfinder.

info-button.jpg

There are a few different info screens. To cycle through all of them, simply keep pressing this button.

Growing & Shrinking the Size of the Playback Photo​

To get a closer look at your playback photo, you can grow the review photo on the rear LCD screen. To get it back to its original size, you can also shrink it back down. To control both of these functions, you can place your pointer finger and thumb (or any two fingers) next to each other, touch the photo that’s currently on the LCD screen in playback mode and spread your fingers apart. To shrink the photo back down, you can do the opposite and pinch your fingers together.

Alternatively, you can use the Enlarge and Shrink buttons on the back of the camera. These two buttons are located in the upper right corner. the left button shrinks while the right one enlarges.

grow-shrink-buttons.jpg

If you take a look at the photo above, you’ll see a small box in the lower left corner of the LCD screen. In the photo, this box has an outline. The outline is a representation of how large the photo is getting during your preview. When the white box and the outline are the same size, that means everything is set back to normal.

To navigate the photo while it’s enlarged, you can touch the screen with your pointer finger and drag the photo around. Alternatively, you can use the left and right keys I mentioned earlier. But in this case you can also use the up and down keys as well.

How To Delete a Photo While in Playback Mode​

To delete a photo while you’re playing your photo back, all you need to do is press the Delete button. The Delete button is located on the back of the screen and takes the form of an icon that looks like a trash can.

delete-button.jpg

Once you press that button, you can use the right arrow key to move from the Cancel option to the Erase option. After you do that, you can press the Set button that sits at the center of those directional keys I mentioned previously.

How To Exit Playback Mode​

To exit playback mode and to get back to the regular function of your camera, all you need to do is press to the Playback button again. That will bring you back to shooting mode.

I hope I clearly explained how to enter playback mode and use the various functions of it to take better advantage of your Canon Rebel T6i DSLR camera. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please leave them below. Thanks for reading!

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. I have one unanswered question. As shown on your screen display, there is an icon centered in the top banner of the playback screen that looks like a wireless symbol with ‘OFF’ in the text. What does this icon indicate, and how is it turned on/off or used?

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
I think what you’re referring to is the wifi indicator, which is a post entirely unto itself. I’m actually planning on writing about the whole wireless arena regarding the Canon Rebel line, so be sure to check back.