Search

How to Change & Limit ISO Settings on Canon Rebel DSLR Camera

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
There are so many reasons someone might want to manually set their camera’s ISO. Most often, it’s because they are attempting to take a specialized shot that requires another setting, either the aperture or the shutter speed, to be dialed into something very specific. Or, perhaps the photographer is attempting to take photos in a dark or dimly lit setting and they don’t want to use their flash. That situation would definitely call for some higher ISO settings. I could go on and on about ISO, shutter speed and aperture size, but I’ll save that for later posts. For now, you can read what has already written on the topics in the posts below.

Understanding Basic Camera ISO Settings

How To Work Camera Shutter Speed For Incredible Photos

How To Use Your Camera’s Aperture Priority Mode

Instead of getting into the theory behind the above three elements of photography, in today’s post, I’d like to stay more on a technical track. I’d like to demonstrate exactly how you can change the ISO settings on your Canon Rebel DSLR camera. I’ll be using the T6i in this post, but what I’m about to share with you can be used on any camera in the Rebel series, including the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i and the T7i. Also, after I’m finished showing you that, I’m going to show you how you can limit the upper setting of your camera’s Auto ISO operation. This is a really good piece of information to be aware of, so read on below.

How to Manually Adjust the ISO Setting​

Changing the ISO on your camera is an extremely simple task. The very first thing you need to concern yourself with, though, is if you’re using one of the camera modes that will allow for a manually altered ISO setting. For example, if you have your camera set to Auto, this option won’t be available. If you’re in one of the creative modes, it most likely won’t be available either. You’ll know this because when you push the button that controls the ISO menu, your camera will pop up a small warning that indicates the lack of availability.

I take a lot of photos in Program mode, so that’s what I’ll be using in this post. Alternatively, I could have used one of the manual modes, but I’ll stick with Program.

To manual set the ISO, I’ll push the button that’s labeled ISO on the top right portion of the camera.

iso-button.jpg

From there, to actually change the ISO setting, I’ll use either the dial that’s located directly in front of the ISO button on the top of the camera or the left and right arrow buttons that are located on the back of the camera. Either one of these options does the exact same thing. I’ll see all the changes I make right on the LCD screen on the rear of the camera.

dial.jpg

iso-screen.jpg

After changing the ISO setting, I can either half way push the shutter button to accept the change, push the Set button on the back of the camera or simply push the ISO button again. Whatever options I choose, that new setting will have taken hold.

iso-setting.jpg

Now, I can go about my shooting.

How to Set an Upper ISO Limit While Shooting in Auto​

Most people use the Auto ISO setting much more than any other option. This way, the camera will choose its own ISO setting that works the best with whatever lighting is available. The problem with using auto though, especially when taking advantage of one of the manual modes, such as shutter priority or aperture priority, is that the camera can select an ISO setting that’s far too high for comfort. If you enjoy using high ISO settings and you’re comfortable with that, by all means, leave this setting at 6400, which is currently the highest the Auto setting will bring it to. But if you’re like me and you like to keep the ISO setting in check, you’ll most likely set the limit to 3200 or lower.

To set an upper ISO limit for my camera, I’ll press the Menu button that’s located on the back of it.

menu-button.jpg

Next, I’ll push either the left or the right arrow buttons to navigate to the third panel from the left. After that, I’ll use the down arrow button to navigate to the ISO setting and finally, I’ll use the Set button to enter into the next menu.

rear-menu.jpg

iso-options.jpg

After doing all this, I should see a drop-down appear that gives me a few options. Generally, the ISO options will begin at 400 and go all the way to 6400. I’ll set mine to 3200. To accept that, I’ll press Set again.

rear.jpg

Finally, to get out of the menu, I’ll press the shutter button half way. That will bring me back to shooting mode. As you can see from the above photo, I changed and the camera accepted the new ISO setting.

——

That’s all there is to it. I hope I clearly explained how to change the ISO setting on a Canon Rebel digital camera as well as how to set the upper limit of the Auto ISO mode. If you have any questions or comments regarding this post, please let me know down below. Thanks for reading!

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
Thanks! I didn’t know that I could set a maximum limit on the ISO while shooting in aperture priority.

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
You sure can. You can set a maximum ISO value in any priority, even Manual mode.

Thanks for the comment!

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
Hi! - I own a canon rebel T7i and I am using Av most of the time. I’ve seen posts from other people that say they can also set a shutter speed limit on how low it can go down while in Av mode, however I cant find any features like that on my canon T7i. What do you think about this?

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I know that with many cameras you can set a minimum shutter speed when in Aperture Priority mode, but I’m not seeing that feature available for the Canon Rebel T7i. Did you say that you saw that people were doing this with the T7i cameras on other websites? If so, can you list those websites here so I can take a look?

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
KristinaW said:
I know that with many cameras you can set a minimum shutter speed when in Aperture Priority mode, but I’m not seeing that feature available for the Canon Rebel T7i. Did you say that you saw that people were doing this with the T7i cameras on other websites? If so, can you list those websites here so I can take a look?
No, but I think a YouTube video showed doing that on a canon 80D.

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
LukeLewis said:
No, but I think a YouTube video showed doing that on a canon 80D.
I don’t think the feature you are referring to is available on the Canon T7i. The Canon 800D is the equivalent of the T7i, not the Canon 80D.

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
KristinaW said:
I don’t think the feature you are referring to is available on the Canon T7i. The Canon 800D is the equivalent of the T7i, not the Canon 80D.
I am aware of that. What I mean is that the 80D is an older version. How come the 800D doesn’t have that option?

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
LukeLewis said:
I am aware of that. What I mean is that the 80D is an older version. How come the 800D doesn’t have that option?
It’s because the 80D is a better camera than the 800D. There are many more options on it. You can read the comparison between both cameras online. Also, I encourage you to ask around this forum to get answers to your question. I wonder if other photographers would have any input for you.

WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
Not on a T7i, but on older Canon models you can. Check a YouTube tutorial by Joe Jackson entitled "Canon EOS 80D: How to Set Auto ISO Limits & Minimum Shutter Speed."

Anyway...

I have been experimenting with my Canon EOS T6 ISO speeds, but cannot seem to go beyond 6400. Is there a way to go higher? Do I need to download some sort of software on my camera’s SD chip to shoot in 12800 ISO? Thanks for the help, everyone.

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
WendyMay said:
Not on a T7i, but on older Canon models you can. Check a YouTube tutorial by Joe Jackson entitled "Canon EOS 80D: How to Set Auto ISO Limits & Minimum Shutter Speed."

Anyway...

I have been experimenting with my Canon EOS T6 ISO speeds, but cannot seem to go beyond 6400. Is there a way to go higher? Do I need to download some sort of software on my camera’s SD chip to shoot in 12800 ISO? Thanks for the help, everyone.
Your camera’s native ISO range is 100 to 6,400 and I’m hearing whispers that it’s expandable to ISO 12,800. I’m looking right now for a way for you to expand that ISO range.

UPDATE: I just read this in an Amazon review:

The ratings on this camera say that the ISO goes up very high, which is true. However, what they don’t tell you is that the ISO is automatic and there is no way to set it yourself in manual mode. You can change the aperture and shutter speed, but it will automatically choose your ISO. Not a fan of that! Besides that, the camera is very user friendly and the WIFI works great!