Search

How to Change Photo Size & Format on Your Canon Rebel DSLR Camera

• Thread starter 15Katey
  • Start date
15Katey

15Katey

Reaction Score
I’d say that the very first task someone needs to complete after purchasing a brand new camera would be to set the image size, quality and format their camera will be capturing. If memory serves, the default setting for Canon Rebel cameras is high quality JPEG photos. If you’re getting up there and are proficient with photography and image editing, you’ll likely need to change this setting so you’re shooting in RAW mode. If you’re taking photos specifically for the internet and are sure you’ll never need these photos for anything more demanding, you can reduce the image size your camera captures to something more moderate, like medium or small. In general though, you’re likely to keep the large JPEG or RAW setting intact.

In today’s post, I’d like to quickly review how to set the image size and format on a Canon Rebel DSLR camera. I’ll be using the Canon T6i as my demo camera, but really, these steps are the same, or at the very least, very similar, to those for many other models. I’m taking the photos for this post with my Canon T3i and the instructions are identical.

Accessing the Image Quality Display​

The first step in adjusting the photo size or format in your camera is to access the Image Quality display on the rear screen. To do this, simply press the Menu button that sits in the upper left corner of the rear of the camera. Then, use either the left or right arrows to the right of the LCD screen to navigate to the display that has the Image Quality option available. On the T6i, this would be the very first one.

image-quality-display.jpg

After that, press the Set button that sits at the center of the arrow buttons on the right side of the screen. This will bring you into the actual Image Quality display where you’ll make your choice for quality.

large-jpeg.jpg

Changing Dimension, Quality & Format​

On the T6i, there are currently ten options for photo size, quality and format. There are actually two options for format; one is JPEG and the other is RAW. As for size, there are actually only five. And for quality, there are actually only three. I’ll list out all these options below.

Large High Quality – 24M 6000×4000 pixels
Large Medium Quality – 24M 6000×4000 pixels

Medium High Quality – 11M 3984×2656 pixels
Medium Medium Quality – 11M 3984×2656 pixels

Small High Quality 1 – 5.9M 2976×1984 pixels
Small Medium Quality 1 – 5.9M 2976×1984 pixels

Small 2 – 2.5M 1920×1280 pixels

Small 3 – .3M 720×480 pixels

RAW+JPEG – 24M 6000×4000 pixels

RAW – 24M 6000×4000 pixels

Okay, so you’re probably wondering why there isn’t much of a difference between the high quality options and the medium quality ones. Basically, this has to do with image compression. While the camera captures the image with the same megapixel and pixel count, it compresses it differently on the inside so the output varies. This gives you flexibility when it comes to gauging how many photos you’d like to take with a specifically sized data card.

Also, the number of photos you can store varies greatly between all of these settings, and again, you’ll need to gauge your usage with your storage capabilities. To the right of the pixel dimensions is a number. That number is what (the number of photos) the card inside of your camera can hold.

As for the RAW mode, that’s the highest quality available since it’s not compressed by the camera at all. When shooting in this mode, you’ll have as much post processing flexibility as possible, so it’s advised that you use this if you have editing software that can handle the CR2 or DNG file type.

To choose one of these options, navigate to the left or to the right with the arrow keys I discussed earlier. When you’ve settled on an option, press the Set button. Then, you’ll likely need to back out of the menu area by clicking the Menu button a few times until you return to the camera shooting mode.

PS – This post refers to almost all Canon Rebel cameras, including the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i. T7i and the T8i.

——

I hope I’ve clearly explained how to alter the photo size, quality, and format for a Canon Rebel DSLR camera. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please leave them below. Thanks for reading!

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
After a photo is taken and I make adjustments to the photo, how do I save that adjusted photo to my camera?

15Katey

15Katey

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I know what you mean. After taking a photo, downloading it to your computer and editing it, you wouldn’t want to put the image back on your camera. Once it’s off the camera, it’s off the camera. Am I missing something?

S

shutterbug

Reaction Score
1) I have a T6i, when I first used it, I had it set to: Large High Quality – 24M 6000×4000 pixels. ( .jpg) 3:2 ratio. Now I have it set to RAW( .CR2).

I have taken some nice photos when I first got my camera and lately I noticed that when I open the original unedited .jpg in Photoshop to edit it, the ruler shows approximately 83" by 55" in size.

If I take a .CR2 file and convert it to .jpg in Photoshop or Digital Photo Professional, The ruler shows approximately 17" by 11" in size. (JPEG saving quality to max).

Is the ruler irrelevant or should I be concerned if I want to create a large print?

What got me looking into this was when I created an action in Photoshop to produce a double mat for a 12x12 frame. I created the action from a .CR2. All went well until I took an older image ( .jpg) and performed this action on it and found that the only difference between the two was the ruler measurement within Photoshop.

2) I'll take a RAW photo to Digital Photo Professional(DPP) to convert it to JPEG before I use Photoshop to edit it. DPP converts it to JPEG so close to the original RAW photo. I haven't figured out why Photoshop alters my RAW photo so poorly before I even start editing it. (if someone can point me in the right direction its greatly appreciated).

Thanks. neil.macdonald.delta@hotmail.com

As far as campfirejack's question.... My guess is he's editing a photo on the camera itself (edit options programmed in the camera) and he's trying to transfer it to his computer.

Clipboard01.jpg Clipboard02.jpg

JGaulard

JGaulard

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sr. Site Supporter
Power User
Reaction Score
shutterbug said:
Is the ruler irrelevant or should I be concerned if I want to create a large print?
Very strange. I'm looking at one of my JPEG images straight out of my Canon Rebel T7i right now. In Adobe Bridge, I see that the dimensions are 5328x4000 at 72dpi. In inches, the dimensions are 74"x55.6". That's obviously very large for a JPEG and I wonder why it is.

When I open the file in Adobe Photoshop and check the image size (Image > Image Size), the pixel dimensions are the same, but the resolution has changed to 300dpi and the inches are now 17.76"x13.333". Why did the inches go down? I don't know. What's even stranger is that Photoshop tells me the file size is 61MB.

I also opened a RAW image in Photoshop and checked the image size. That's 6000x4000 pixels and 20"x13.333". I took that photo in a different aspect ration so that's why the pixel dimensions are different. But to answer your question, I'm guessing you shouldn't be too concerned here.

S

shutterbug

Reaction Score
JGaulard said:
That's obviously very large for a JPEG and I wonder why it is.

Why did the inches go down? I don't know. What's even stranger is that Photoshop tells me the file size is 61MB.

I'm guessing you shouldn't be too concerned here.
You nailed it JGaulard, 72dpi must be Canon's preset DPI in their camera, which I'm guessing, we have no control over until we use an application to edit the photo.

I remember reading something about dpi in the past, someone stated that dpi won't alter the quality of the photo, but it will alter how its presented in a program, lets say Photoshop DPP website etc... I didn't understand what they were talking about until you mentioned 72dpi.

Just think of it as up-scaling for a TV, if that helps.... the video or photo won't be altered but it will be re-scaled for a better viewing experience.

-When I use DPP its default dpi is set to 350 when saving to JPEG from CR2.

-A 350 dpi assigned to the JPEG will give me a working space of 17" by 11" which is in the ballpark of the 12"x12" cropped photo I want to create.

-A 72 dpi assigned to the JPEG will give me a working space of 83" by 55" which wouldn't give me a realistic view of the photo I want to create.

Why did the inches go down?

-Thinking in terms of DPI: dots per square inch

- So if you have 72 dots crammed into a 1 inch area. You will be viewing an image over a larger surface area if you compare it to 350 dots crammed into a 1 inch area, therefore the viewing area will go down.

What's even stranger is that Photoshop tells me the file size is 61MB

- Its image size not file size which I don't know squat about... something to do with printing. If you want the true file size, don't go by this number, go to a file manager like windows explorer. 61M without the B my guess might be M pixels? My brain is starting to hurt.

Thank you for your help JGaulard, you set me on the right path. In my mind I feel I have a better understanding of how it works. If I'm wrong, please have a heart, show some mercy and agree with me that I am right.:confused:

I'm guessing you shouldn't be too concerned here
-100% agree.

Reactions: JGaulard
JGaulard

JGaulard

Administrator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sr. Site Supporter
Power User
Reaction Score
shutterbug said:
You nailed it JGaulard, 72dpi must be Canon's preset DPI in their camera, which I'm guessing, we have no control over until we use an application to edit the photo.

I remember reading something about dpi in the past, someone stated that dpi won't alter the quality of the photo, but it will alter how its presented in a program, lets say Photoshop DPP website etc... I didn't understand what they were talking about until you mentioned 72dpi.

Just think of it as up-scaling for a TV, if that helps.... the video or photo won't be altered but it will be re-scaled for a better viewing experience.

-When I use DPP its default dpi is set to 350 when saving to JPEG from CR2.

-A 350 dpi assigned to the JPEG will give me a working space of 17" by 11" which is in the ballpark of the 12"x12" cropped photo I want to create.

-A 72 dpi assigned to the JPEG will give me a working space of 83" by 55" which wouldn't give me a realistic view of the photo I want to create.

Why did the inches go down?

-Thinking in terms of DPI: dots per square inch

- So if you have 72 dots crammed into a 1 inch area. You will be viewing an image over a larger surface area if you compare it to 350 dots crammed into a 1 inch area, therefore the viewing area will go down.

What's even stranger is that Photoshop tells me the file size is 61MB

- Its image size not file size which I don't know squat about... something to do with printing. If you want the true file size, don't go by this number, go to a file manager like windows explorer. 61M without the B my guess might be M pixels? My brain is starting to hurt.

Thank you for your help JGaulard, you set me on the right path. In my mind I feel I have a better understanding of how it works. If I'm wrong, please have a heart, show some mercy and agree with me that I am right.:confused:

I'm guessing you shouldn't be too concerned here
-100% agree.
There are two things that make my head hurt when it comes to photography: resolution and color space. It seems that no matter how much I think about either of these things, I can never remember how wither works. Maybe one day something will stick.

I did want to mention one thing - I seem to remember learning a while ago that JPEG images come out of the camera at 72dpi and RAW images come out at 300dpi. If that helps any. Also, I found a post that might help explain how Photoshop handles resolution and image size. Check it out.

https://gaulard.com/forum/threads/225/

Here's another post about resolution. It mentions Canon cameras, so it's appropriate. There's some good information in it.

https://gaulard.com/forum/threads/309/

Let me know if any of these posts help at all.

Jay