Search

How Can I Add Links to a Drop-Down Menu?

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
Everywhere I go, I see drop-down menus on WordPress websites. I see them so many places. I currently have a website that has too many links in the primary menu and I'd love to reduce the number of visible links and place some of those top-level links underneath some others as related drop-downs. I don't need so many to be seen all the time. Does anyone know how I can add pages to my menu so they appear in drop-downs as opposed to the top level?

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score
The first thing you need to do is determine if your current theme supports drop-down menus. If it does, adding links to them is super easy. If it doesn't and if these types of menus are very important to you, you'll either need to learn how to code or change your theme. Once you get that all squared away, you can follow these instructions to add a page or link to a menu so it's part of the drop-down portion of it.

Log into your administration panel and then navigate to Appearance > Customize > Menus. Then, choose the menu you'd like to add drop-down links to. You should see the current links that are viewable in the menu. To move one of these links out of the top spot and into a drop-down spot, all you need to do is click and drag the link to the right a bit. Take a look:

wordpress-dragging-link-to-drop-down-menu.jpg

In the screenshot above, I clicked and dragged the Portfolio link to the right. As you can see, while I'm dragging, a dashed rectangle appears where a spot is available. That indented rectangle belongs to the drop-down menu. Each top-level link has one of these. After I drop the link in this indented position, it'll stay there.

wordpress-customizer-menu-indented-link.jpg

Really, this is all you need to do. After you do this to your own menu, click the Publish button up top and that's it. Check your website to see the new element you've got in your drop-down menu.