Search

How to Add & Remove Shortcuts to & from the Taskbar in Windows 10

• Thread starter 15Katey
  • Start date
15Katey

15Katey

Reaction Score
A while back, I wrote two posts that had to do with the Start menu and the taskbar in Windows 10. In those posts, I shared a tons of information. The first post talked about customizing the taskbar, which included how to lock it, how to change its position and how to alter the size of the icons in it. The second post talked about the Start menu and how to add and delete application shortcuts, change colors of and how to navigate around things in general. If you’d like to read through those two post, you can find links to them below.

How to Customize the Taskbar in Windows 10

How to Customize the Start Menu in Windows 10

The reason I mention these two posts is because what I’m about to quickly share today goes hand in hand with both of them. After all, both the Start menu and the taskbar in Windows 10 are oftentimes the beginning points of what we do during our daily routines.

Today’s post is going to be brief. In it, I’d like to show you two really easy methods for pinning app shortcuts to the taskbar. Personally, I think this information is very valuable because I’m always pinning and unpinning these types of things. If I didn’t have the taskbar, I don’t know where I’d be.

Method #1​

In this section, I’ll walk you through the process of pinning an app shortcut to the taskbar in Windows 10. To kick things off, I’ll open up the Start menu by clicking in the lower left corner.

windows-10-start-menu.jpg

From here, I’d like to pin the application called Synchredible to the bar that runs along the bottom of the screen. By the way, if you’re interested in a really nice program that you can use to sync files between an internal hard drive and an external one, give this one a try. I’ve been using it for a while and it hasn’t failed me yet.

If you’ll notice, I already have this app pinned to the Start menu. I explained how to do that in this post.

pinned-app-start-menu.jpg

Because I’ve already pinned this to this location, any option to do so again simply won’t exist.

Anyway, to accomplish this task, I’ll move over to the left column menu and scroll down until I see a folder called ASCOMP Software. This is where the Sychredible link is hiding. I’ll click on top of that folder until I see what I’m interested in. Then, I’ll right-click on the Sychredible menu item, roll over the next item called More in the menu that appears and then click on Pin to Taskbar.

pin-to-taskbar.jpg

Once I do that, I’ll see a shortcut to that app down in the bar below.

taskbar-app-shortcut.jpg

To launch the app, all I need to do is click the shortcut. It’s that easy.

Now, if I ever want to delete this newly created shortcut, all I need to do is right-click on it down in the taskbar and then click on Unpin From Taskbar. That will get rid of it. I think I’ll do that right now so I can show you the next method.

unpin-from-taskbar.jpg

Method #2​

This method is faster than the last one and even easier. To get it finished, I’ll open up the Start menu and scroll to the ASCOMP Software folder again. From here, I should see the Synchredible link once more. Now, instead of right-clicking on that menu item this time, like I did last time, I’ll click and drag it down to the taskbar. I’ll make sure I drag it to the position I’d like to ultimately see it.

click-drag-shortcut.jpg

Once there, I’ll let go and the shortcut will be set in the taskbar.

The result of this method will be exactly the same as the previous. Again, if I want to delete this shortcut, I can right-click on it and delete it from there.

That’s it! I know this was a simple post, but I still hope someone got something from it. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please leave them in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!