Search

How to Reset Edit Settings Back to Default in Adobe Camera Raw

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I can’t even count how many times I’ve worked on a photo inside of Adobe Camera Raw and when half way through, I told myself that I wanted to scrap everything I have done so far and start over. If you’ve been editing for any length of time, you’ve surely experienced something like this. It’s not all too uncommon. Luckily, Camera Raw makes it really easy to undo what’s been done so far to basically reset itself back to the way things were when the application was first launched. Now, don’t get me wrong here. I’m not referring to returning Camera Raw back to its original state when it was first installed. I’m talking about deleting any alterations that have been made to an image. You know, undoing any edited slider positions and removing any filters that have been applied. That sort of thing.

In today’s post, I’d like to make a few changes to a photo to see how I like them. After each change, I’ll purposefully decide that the edit just isn’t for me, which will call for me bringing the photo back to its original state. There are two methods for accomplishing this in Camera Raw. One uses a menu and the other uses a key on the keyboard. Both are equally straightforward.

Demo Image​

This is the image I’ll be using for this post. The version you are looking at directly below has been edited to brighten it up a bit. For the examples below, I’ll be using the original, darker version. Again, I’ll be making two edits to the photo and then using one reset method for each edit. That way, you’ll get to see both in action. Here’s the photo.

woman-looking-up.jpg

Adding a Post Crop Vignette​

For this first example, I’m going to apply a preset I made a long time ago. I apply this preset to 95% of the images I edit and then go from there. This preset will take the darker original image and brighten it up to the one you see above.

How to Save Tool Presets in Adobe Camera Raw

This is the darker photo.

darker-image.jpg

Now, I’ll head into the Presets tab and then I’ll click on the Normal Edits preset.

preset-normal-edits.jpg

Again, doing this will apply all the slider edits I once made and saved into the preset. Here’s a look at those slider edits.

basic-sliders.jpg

Okay, now that this part of the process is complete, I’ll move into the Effects panel and push the Post Crop Vignetting slider to the left until it reaches a value of -40.

effects-panel.jpg

Here is the resulting image.

post-crop-vignette.jpg

I don’t know. I don’t think I like this at all. I’d like to undo everything I’ve done so far. I’ll cover the first method for accomplishing this in the next section. By the way, if you’d like to read about how to create a nice post crop vignette, check out this post.

How to Add & Adjust a Border Vignette in Adobe Camera Raw

Using a Menu to Reset Camera Raw Defaults​

Since I’d like to reset every single adjustment I’ve made to this image, I’ll head up to the menu that will give me the option to do so. This menu is located in the same position, no matter what panel you’re currently editing in. It’s in the upper right corner of the panel area.

reset-camera-raw-defaults.jpg

If I open the menu and then click on the bottom option that reads Reset Camera Raw Defaults, everything will go back to the way it was when the image wasn’t edited at all. This applies to any edits you previously made during another session. Everything will be reset. Everything.

Creating a Custom Vignette​

Next, I’ll create a custom vignette, which is a much more versatile method for creating vignettes in Camera Raw.

I’ll head back to the Presets menu and apply the Normal Edits preset once again, just to brighten the photo up, sharpen it and do a few other things. Then, I’ll activate the Radial Filter tool by clicking on it up in the top menu. I’ll draw the radial filter around the woman’s face in the photo and push some sliders around until I think things look presentable.

radial-fliter-sliders.jpg

After that, I’ll send the photo over to Photoshop for some cropping and then I’ll save the file as a JPG and upload it here. Let’s have a look at the final result.

custom-vignette.jpg

Wow, that looks a lot better. I think I really like this one. The only problem is, I’d like to show my friend how to go about this process, so I’ll need to undo everything I’ve done to bring the image back to its original state. The thing is, I’ve already transferred the file to Photoshop, which essentially closed out Camera Raw. I wonder if the next reset process will still work after I open the image back into Camera Raw. Let’s see.

Using a Keyboard Key to Reset Camera Raw Defaults​

Because Camera Raw stores any edits made to a JPG file inside the photo’s meta information, I’m able to open the photo back up into Camera Raw, after it’s been closed out, to see those edits still in effect. Be warned though, if you decide to use certain tools, such as the Radial Filter, the information that needs to be stored is substantial, which can increase the file size of the photo and can create a sluggish environment when transferring an edited version of the image to Photoshop. I just experienced this. Transferring this image to Photoshop took about 20 seconds. This process usually takes about two seconds.

To undo all the edits I’ve made to this image and to restore its original state, I’ll hold down the Alt key on my keyboard. Then, I’ll head down to the bottom right area of the application and click the Reset button. If you’ll notice, this Reset button was once the Cancel button, but since holding the Alt key down, it switches to Reset.

reset-button.jpg

Clicking on this Reset button will have the same exact effect on the photo as the previous method had. It’s that easy.

——

I hope I’ve clearly explained how you can go about resetting an image being edited in Adobe Camera Raw to its original state. There are two methods for doing this. One uses a menu and the other uses a keyboard key. Both are equally simple to take advantage of. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please leave them in the comment area below. Thanks for reading!

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
Your instructions for returning a dng to its original settings were very clear. I did that and then saved the file under a new name so that I could identify it. The new saved file still has the small button icon in the top right corner to indicate that it had been modified. I was assuming that the icon would disappear once I had reset the photo to its original settings. Why doesn’t it disappear?

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I’m assuming you are talking about the small circle identifier that appears in Adobe Bridge after an image is edited in Camera Raw. Am I correct? If so, that small circle represents a file that sits aside your image file. This side file contains all the data for the changes that you made in Camera Raw. If the side file exists, the circle will be visible in Bridge and if the file doesn’t exist, the circle won’t be visible. If you navigate to the folder that contains your DNG file, you should see not only that file, but the accompanying XMP file right next to it as well. If you select the XMP file and press the Delete key on your keyboard, that small indicator circle in Adobe Bridge should disappear. Please let me know if this helps.