Search

How to Store Shoe Goo - Freeze It!

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I've been using Shoe Goo for years and like everyone else, I find it a simply amazing product. I've saved so many shoes, it's not even funny. Just recently I pulled a pair of tennis sneakers out of my closet that I haven't worn in over 10 years. They were still brand new without a scuff on them. The only problem was that some of the glue that held the sole of the sneaker to the rest of the shoe dried up. The soles were falling off. I have been wearing these sneakers when I go walking, but sooner or later, the entire sole is going to fall right off and I'll be walking down the sidewalk in what will look like a slipper.

This morning, I decided to open a tube of Shoe Goo that I've had sitting around. It was a brand new tube. It was the big one - I think the 3.7 ounce one. I glued the soles of my sneakers back on, but I only used half of the tube of glue. This happens every time. I put the cap back on, but I know that the glue isn't going to last very long before it dries and gets hard inside of the tube. I would like to save the rest of the Goo for later use. I don't want to waste it like I have so many times before.

Has anyone ever tried freezing Shoe Goo so it lasts longer in the tube? Do you think I can just store it in the freezer? Will that work?

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction Score
There are many types of glues out there that can be stored in the freezer to avoid drying out and hardening. I think Seam Seal is one besides ShoeGoo. People use this stuff for all sorts of things. I just read that one guy glued a molding that was falling off his car, back on! I don't know why that wouldn't work. Shoe Goo works for everything else.

Anyway, I am like you. I have used this glue for years and no matter how tight I keep the cap on the tube, the glue always dries up (the same is for silicone caulk). It always hardens. And because of this, I never got to use the full tube. I generally have a few things to glue here and there and never have I had enough repairs to finish a tube - ever. I don't want to buy any of the smaller tubes that this company sells because of the markup. Like everything else, the smaller the quantity, the more expensive the product will become. I like the bigger tubes of Shoe Goo myself. They're more cost effective.

How to stop Shoe Goo from curing between uses? That's right - stick it in the freezer. I've been trying this out for a while and it seems to work. I would love to hear what others have to say too and to learn about their experiences, but as of right now, this tactic seems to work.

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
Yes, to store Shoe Goo and other glues, such as CA glues, just keep them in the freezer. They don't dry out as fast that way. Tighten the cap very well so none of the solvents leak out onto anything. I also keep any glue I store in the freezer or refrigerator in plastic ziplock bags. That's just a precaution because, again, I wouldn't want to permanently glue anything I didn't want glued in either place. This trick also works for silicone and epoxy. Try it for yourself. It seems to work for me, but you can let me know how it works for you.

WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
I glued my Sketcher boots the other day with Shoe Goo. I'll add a few pictures of them to this post. The entire top part of the shoe fell right off the sole, so I glued it back on. I tore the other one off too because it was beginning to fall off a little bit. I used Shoe Goo to glue that one back on too. These boots were pretty old, so I guess the original glue dried up. This has happened to a few different pairs of shoes I have owned. Check out how I held the top part of the shoes to the soles though. I used a bunch of rubber bands. They acted as clamps. Worked great! So far, so good. The glue is holding.

shoe-goo-repair-sketchers-boots.jpg shoe-goo-womens-boots.jpg

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I just wanted to give an update to my freezing of the Shoe Goo episode. The last time I used the tube was when I began this thread. That was on October 10. It's been almost exactly one month since and I had to make some additional repairs to two different sneakers last night. I pulled the Shoe Goo from the freezer to use, opened it up, and found that it was like brand new. None of it had dried in the tip (nozzle) and it flowed beautifully. I think I'm going to be putting this stuff in the freezer from now on. I know that if I simply stored it in a drawer, some of the glue would have hardened by now clogging the tip, so cold is definitely the way to go.