Search

Broken Cub Cadet 2X 528 Snow Blower Speed Selector Cable

• Thread starter CampFireJack
  • Start date
CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
At the end of the last winter snow season, I noticed that there was only one speed on my snow blower working. It was the fastest speed. There are six forward speeds and two reverse. Upon inspection of the snow thrower, I noticed that the upper part of one of the cables broke. Since it was the last snowfall and since I was feeling very lazy, I just put the machine back in the garage with the plan of fixing it another time. Well, it's the end of November now and snow is on the horizon. It's time to fix it.

I pulled the snowblower out of the garage today to see if there was a way that I could repair the cable without having to buy a new one. I also took some photos of what I was dealing with. If you'd like to see them at their full size, you'll need to log in and then click on the thumbnails.

It doesn't seem that I'll be able to fix the cable. It'll most likely need a replacement. I priced them out and they cost around $13. I'm going to look on the shelf at Tractor Supply the next time I'm there to see if they have any in stock. If they do, I'll save on shipping. Maybe I'll look around to see if I can find one on Amazon. They seem to have a lot of them and I have Amazon Prime, so shipping is free.

Anyway, for the time being, I think I'll slip the top end of the cable through the hole in the lower part of the handle and use a tie down to keep it in place. I think this will work if I wedge the end in there good. Or, I can simply remove the cable and use the snowblower and full speed until I get a new cable. I'm going to look around right now to see if I can find the part number, price, and who sells it. I'll update this thread with that info if I can find it.

01-cub-cadet-528-snow-blower.jpg 02-cub-cadet-snow-thrower-speed-selector-cable.jpg 03-snow-thrower-speed-selector-cable-handle.jpg 04-snapped-snow-blower-cable.jpg 05-broken-cable-parts.jpg 06-pieces-broken-cable.jpg

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
Okay, I found some stuff. I have the OEM part number. It's 946-04396A. The Cub Cadet page also says that this part number replaces both part numbers 746-04396 and 746-04396A. This is the Cub Cadet page:

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/cables/21.5-inch-speed-selector-cable/946-04396A.html

They're selling this part for $13.43. With shipping though, the total is $18.42. The same part is also for sale on Amazon for $14.92 and shipping is free if you have Amazon Prime. I think I'll order it from there right now. Here's that link:

https://amzn.to/2HNQXCb

I just went out into my garage to measure the length of the cable and it's 21.5 inches long, so this is the correct one. I bought my Cub Cadet in 2014, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I am also seeing that the same cable fits other makes of snow blower, such as MTD, Troy-Bilt, Cub-Cadet, Craftsman, Bolens, Remington, Yardman, Yard-Machine, White Huskee, LawnChief, and Ryobi. Apparently, these snow blowers have become a commodity with different brand names. Go figure.

In my next post, I'll share some photos that I take as I replace the cable. It's a really easy job.

PS - I also wanted to mention that I saw a lot of knock-off cables for sale on Amazon and elsewhere that claim to fit these snowblowers. From what I gathered, some people had luck with them and some didn't. I guess it depends on which make and model of thrower you are attempting to repair. The average price for these cables is around $8. Personally, I would buy the OEM cable as that's a sure fit.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

How to Replace the Speed Selector Cable​

Okay, I received the new cable from Amazon this morning and I just replaced it on the snow thrower. It was an easy job that took all of 10 minutes. I snapped a few photos of the process, so if this is something you need to take care of, all you need to do is follow along.

I uploaded the images in order, so just click on each one to see a larger view. You'll need to log in to do that.

1. This is the cable in the package.

2. The only mechanical work you'll need to do is to unbolt the right bolt in this photo. It's an 11mm. You'll need to hold the backside of the bolt (the actual bolt itself) with another wrench, so when you try turning the nut, the bolt doesn't turn too. I used an adjustable wrench.

3. The plate swings down when it's unbolted.

4. Just pull the "S" portion of the cable out of the hole. Note which hole this part of the cable was sitting in before you pull it out though. Mine was in the middle hole. There are three to choose from.

5. Now that the old cable is removed, slide the red "S" end through the top hole up near the speed control handle.

6. Bring the cable all the way through until the pot metal "J" portion is seated firmly.

7. Slide the red "S" portion through the hole, just like the old one was situated.

8. Put the bolt back through its hole and then tighten the nut back up.

That's it! Like I said, it's pretty easy. Let me know if you've got any questions.

01-replacement-cable-in-package.jpg 02-bottom-cable-attachment.jpg 03-unbolt-bottom-cable-attachment.jpg 04-remove-bottom-s-attachment.jpg 05--slide-s-part-cable-through-top.jpg 06-top-cable-connector.jpg 07-insert-bottom-cable.jpg 08-bolt-connector-plate.jpg