Search

Where's the Attachment Limit Setting?

• Thread starter EmeraldHike
  • Start date
EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I set my forum up a long time ago to limit the number of attachment (picture) uploads to four. I didn't want my server getting filled up with too many attachments. Since then (2019), people have posted thousands of attachments. I believe I'm up to 40,000 or something like that. What they're doing is posting four attachments into their initial thread and then posting subsequent posts that include more attachments. I've actually had requests to allow an unlimited number of attachments and just delete those that are excessive, if that happens. That's fine with me. The thing is, I completely forget where the attachments settings are. Does anyone know where I can find them so I can update the number allowed to unlimited?

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
I went through the same issue when I set my forum up years ago. People will try to get around anything and then once they succeed, they'll tell everyone else about how they did so. The way I dealt with it was to allow unlimited attachments per post, but reduce the dimensions of those images to 700x700 pixels. So that way, they won't take up too much room in my hosting account.

To edit your attachment settings, log into your ACP and then navigate to Setup > Options.

xenforo-setup-options.gif

Then, scroll down the page and click the Attachments link. From there, look for the Maximum Attachments Per Message section and input 0 for unlimited.

xenforo-maximum-attachments-per-message.gif

If you want to edit your maximum dimensions like I did, continue scrolling down the page until you reach the Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions and the Attachment Thumbnail Dimensions fields. In those fields, input 700 or whatever maximum dimension you'd like. I feel that 700 pixels is good because the system will reduce any uploaded file to that and they won't take up too much disk space.

xenforo-maximum-image-dimensions-settings.gif

Let me know if you need anything else.