Search

How to Remove the Battery from a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date
LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
I just went outside to disconnect and remove the battery from my Polaris 850 ATV and I took some pictures of the process to show here. If you don't even know where the battery is located in your quad, this post should help. A few days ago, I had no idea, but it's pretty easy to find and a simple process to remove. You'll just need a torx wrench and a 10mm socket.

Okay, to start off, I lifted the front cover of the ATV and removed the plastic storage compartment. All that takes is twisting two plastic knobs.

under-front-cover.jpg

You can see the battery sitting in there. It's dead center in the above picture.

2018-polaris-sportsman-850-battery-compartment.jpg polaris-sportsman-battery.jpg

You'd think all that's necessary is to remove that strap, disconnect the terminals, and pull the battery out. You'd be correct, but in order to do that, you need to remove the nut holding down the strap. That's underneath the plastic cover. To remove the two screws holding down the cover, you'll need a torx wrench. I forget the exact size I used, but it wasn't exotic or anything.

plastic-cover-torx-wrench.jpg

After that battery cover was removed, I screwed the screws back into the plastic a few turns. I don't need to lose them. Here's what it looks like with the battery cover out of the way.

removed-cover.jpg

Next, I took the strap off. To do that, I used a 10mm socket and my small 3/8" socket wrench.

\ remove-battery-strap.jpg
battery-no-strap.jpg

With the same 10mm socket, I unscrewed the terminal bolts and pulled off the positive and negative wires. There were three red wires and two black ones.

removed-terminal-wires.jpg

Then I simply pulled the battery out and up. It weighs around 15 pounds, so it's quite heavy.

removed-battery-polaris-sportsman-atv.jpg

Just to let you know, this is a YIX20HL battery with a part number of 4015961. It's the stock battery for this 2018 Polaris Sportsman 850 and it's made by Yuasa. I didn't know what type of battery it was (lead acid or AGM) so I did a little research. Apparently, it's an AGM battery. It would have been nice if they wrote that somewhere on the battery itself.

yix20hl-4015961-yuasa.jpg

Here's the top of the battery.

top-battery-terminals.jpg

The cost of this battery ranges from $106 at Wal Mart to around $130-$150 at Amazon and some random battery websites. I don't need a new one, but it's good to know. Basically, I just removed this battery to keep it on a trickle charge inside my house.