Search

My New John Deere X300

• Thread starter Cameron
  • Start date
Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
Well guys, this is what it ends up like. Just in case you weren’t aware of how pitiful things can get when you’re older…yes, we get excited about new lawn mowers.

Gone are the days of comparing skateboards, bicycles, motorcycles and finally cars. Now, we get a pellet stove and a John Deere and have to write home about it. Boy, if I had known this when I was younger, I think I may have done some things slightly differently.

OK, now that that’s out of the way, guess what??? Yeah, I got the new John Deere X300 today. As I said earlier, this is a hot item. It has a 17HP Kawasaki engine, 42″ cut and cruise control. Add all the other goodies and I think I almost have a car with a mower deck. You can read all the specs here.

What’s more important are the pictures. Just to let you know, this is when it was brand new, with zero hours on it. Now that I mowed the lawn today (in like 100th of the time it normally takes), it’s a little dirtier. After I mow, I blow it off with my leaf blower though.

john-deere-x300-1.jpg john-deere-x300-2.jpg john-deere-x300-3.jpg john-deere-x300-4.jpg john-deere-x300-5.jpg john-deere-x300-6.jpg john-deere-x300-7.jpg

What I like about this model is that I am able to put on all different types of attachments and not worry about it. It has a stronger frame than the “100” series. I can get a snow blower, snow plow, bucket and all sorts of stuff. I really don’t think I will be getting any of that. The only thing I see myself getting in the future might be a small trailer for working around the yard. Those are handy.

The John Deere dealer I got this from comes to your house to do all the maintenance (if you want). It’s pretty cool. If there is a big repair, they will come over and pick the machine up for you and then bring it back after it’s fixed. That’s what I like.

I mowed the lawn today and it was rather fun. I like cruising around and getting the job done without sweating. What used to be a 4-hour job now is a 45 minute one. Now, that is sweet.

Comments for My New John Deere X300​

If you'd like to leave your own comment, please do so below. Thanks!

Gary Gitchell: What is your simple item to disengage backup safety switch? I need one! Cost and how to install?

David: Looking for safety bypass for x300 mowing in reverse, can you help?

Robertt: I have an x 300 bought a rear bagger. And a chute Chute doesn’t fit but should go x300 maybe because it has edge system would that make the difference

Ben: “If there is a big repair, they will come over and pick the machine up for you and then bring it back after it’s fixed. That’s what I like.”

Well, sure, for $79 an hour. But if you maintain it, and prep it properly over the winter months, you probably won’t need to call for service very much.

Bill: Hi Cameron,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the John Deere. I am considering buying the X300, but I have one requirement. The machine needs to be able to suck up leaves and throw them into a rear bagger. Do have thoughts to how this tractor handles leaf pickup? If it can grab leaves without clogging I am a buyer.

I would appreciate your thoughts. cheers, Bill

Tiom: I have made a simple item that keeps the blade engaged on my X300. It is very easy to use and 100% effective without any modification whatsoever. If you think you might like one of these you can get in touch with me. Once you use this item you will never want to be without it. You will no longer have to hold up on the lever or re-engage the mower simply because you wanted to back up. I’ve been using mine for 2 seasons now and it really works and is so simple it’s silly. Problem solved!

JD: X-300, I want to disable the RIO so the blades twist all the time, front and backwards. How does one accomplish that?

Cameron: Hi Tim,

Wow – it looks like you have been hard at work thinking of ways to make things work better.

The only concern I have is that I believe what you are referring to is a “safety” that John Deere put in place by law. The sales guy told me that by forcing the person who is riding the mower to stop and pull up a lever before backing up actually reminds them to look around. I guess there have been accidents while backing up and not looking while the mower blades are spinning (such as little kids chasing the lawnmower around and the driver not being aware of them).

I think all new ride-on lawnmowers are required to have this type of safety now.

Fred: What is your simple item ??
I need one…backing up is pain in the **s…

Bryan: Good pictures of your John Deere, I’ve been researching online and found your article about your Deere and attachments. Sweet..

My JD x300 was delivered today and can’t wait to get out there and cut some grass.

Nice job on your blog.

regards, Bryan in Arkansas

Tucker: I have a L110 and it has never been able to draw fuel properly from the tank. It doesn’t create a vacuum all the time. The carb will only go on full or half throttle, never on idle. The dealer has never been able to fix it and, in short, this is the worst garbage I have ever experienced with a garden tractor. It is only 4 years old and have never worked.

Tigg: Great pics of your new[er] X300.

I purchased my 1st Deere April 1992 [LX172]
I’ve been able to do all my own maintenance and the only time it’s been back to dealer, was to get a new transmission.

Well, the replacement tranny is going out again…so i’m calling it quits and ordered a X300 today. Delivery Tues AM

I cut 2 acres, with the back half on a medium incline. Wished I had an hour meter on my 172… gotta be in the 1000′s.

Anyhow, at age 56, this X300 should be the last tractor i’ll ever buy.

Ron: Nice pics on the bagger install. I need to get one of these as soon as I put aside a little $$$ and it was nice to see how easy it will be to install. I am thinking of getting the Power Flow Bagger because we seem to do a lot of damp mowing.

Cameron: The bagger is well worth the money. I have been cleaning up messes since last Autumn and it’s been doing a great job. The only complaint I have is that I have to chop up the leaves by mowing over them before I try to bag them. If I don’t, the tube will get clogged.

Tim: Hey Fred, just looked in here and you can find the reverse override on ebay. “John Deere x300″ put in will get you there.

Steve Benson: please let me in on your way of keeping the blades running on your x300, thanks.

Brad: Just returned my X300. I utilized the JD 30 day promise. I guess this is a great mower for all that have a perfectly flat yard, however, if you live in the “real” world and have dips, turns, and inclines of differnt grades, be ready for a disappointment. The cheap tranny (K46) is about as useless as they get. Terrible loud whine, reverse is slower than a turtle and to top it off, you have to fumble around with a poor design for mow in reverse switch. For 3000 bucks plus tax, the only thing you get is a quality Kawasaki motor that is SUPER quite. Too bad it’s mowing features are poorly designed. Good luck with the bagger too. LOL

Cameron: I’ve actually had good luck with mine (hills and all), but thank you for the insightful comment.

Todd: I have less than 30 hours on my X300 and have had the mower belt jump out twice. Each time it happened when initially engaged. What am I doing wrong as dropping the mower deck each time to fix it is getting old?

Steve: Tim - What did you do to fix the reverse switch??

Steve: My deck belt came off after 3.5 hours of mulching leaves. What did I do wrong???

Mark: Can you let me in on you simple fix?

Edward Jackson Jr.: Tim I would like to get one of these to keep PTO engaged. Don’t see it on Ebay

John: Would be interested in keeping the blade engaged in reverse on my John Deere x300.

Mike: Can you please share what you use to keep your PTO engage while backing up w/ the John Deere X300. Thanks

Kevin: Very interested with your blade engagement keeper.
Please email with information to order. Thanks!

Glenn: Can you please share what you use to keep your PTO engage while backing up w/ the John Deere X300. Thanks

Don Crozier: would love to knbow how to disable the switch.

Tim Follet: Please let me know how to disable the switch on an X300.

Bushwacker: On X300 & X304 – you can disable the reverse (RIO) switch by removing the plug from the PTO switch,run a jumper from the gray, to the green wire.Plug it back in then have fun. It’s that simple.

Ken: Tried this today (after wishing I knew how for 9 years) and it worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Mike Mustard: I’ve had my JD 300 since late August, with bagger attachment. Having adjusted to the foot controls, I find it handles our grass very well. I’ve had one clog (with wet leaves, which was easily unclogged) and have found it works far better than my old Simplicity in that regard, The problem I’ve had is that the tractor does not collect all of the leaves – some are pushed to the right as tractor advances and, even with a second pass, I cannot get all of them. Anyone have any ideas- my Simplicity had a similar problem but there was an attachement you could place on the front of the mower deck and minimize the issue.

Weeds: Thank You Bushwhacker, a very simple fix like this saves alot of trouble now when I backup!

Shirl: My X300 is not getting gas to the filter, any suggestions as to what I can do on a fixed income and would really like to try DIY fix.

Tim: I have a X304 I have not used it in a month. Battery was weak so I gat it a boost. Engin turns over but will not start. It appears I have no spark. Can any one help? Stranded in the back yard