Search

How Do I Remove the Author Link in WordPress?

• Thread starter CraigHardy
  • Start date
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
I installed a new theme made by StudioPress on my WordPress website and I can't seem to find where to remove the author link on the blog archive pages as well as on the individual post pages. I am using the Yoast SEO plugin and I set it so when someone clicks an author link or lands on an author page, they're redirected back to the homepage. Even though this will keep the author pages out of the Google index, I'd still rather not be linking to them at all. Does anyone know how to remove these links from those pages?

WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
CraigHardy said:
I installed a new theme made by StudioPress on my WordPress website and I can't seem to find where to remove the author link on the blog archive pages as well as on the individual post pages. I am using the Yoast SEO plugin and I set it so when someone clicks an author link or lands on an author page, they're redirected back to the homepage. Even though this will keep the author pages out of the Google index, I'd still rather not be linking to them at all. Does anyone know how to remove these links from those pages?
Removing the author link in WordPress is easy. To remove it, you'll need to log into your WordPress back-end. Then, browse to the Appearance > Customize menu item and click.

wordpress-appearance-customize.gif

Once in the Customizer area for your theme, click the Theme Settings and then Singular Content links. Inside of the Singular Content area, you'll see two field that you can customize.

wordpress-theme-settings-singular-content-menus.gif

Inside the field, you'll see what's referred to as "short codes." If you look closely, you'll notice that inside the top field is one for the author link. To see a full list of StudioPress short codes, visit this page.

This is a great way to remove the author links, but I actually recommend an even better way if you've got an older site and haven't updated the Genesis framework lately. Go ahead and download and install the Genesis Simple Edits plugin, if you can still find it. Then, once installed, visit the Genesis > Simple Edits link.

genesis-simple-edits-link.gif

Inside of this area, you'll see a few field. The one you'll want to edit is called Entry Meta. Go ahead and change the [post_author_posts_link] short code to just [post_author]. This will keep the author name on the archive and post pages while removing the link to the author archive pages. If you would like to remove all of the author information completely, simply delete the entire existing shortcode. Click the Save Changes button and you'll be all set.

genesis-simple-edits-settings.gif

Newman

Newman

Reaction Score
I actually think StudioPress has done away with the Genesis Simple Edits plugin. The Customizer now handles what that plugin used to do. I'm not sure if you can even download it anymore. Take a look at this page for more information:

https://www.wendycholbi.com/the-genesis-simple-edits-plugin-is-no-longer-necessary/

Also, according to the StudioPress shortcodes page on GitHub, the [post_author_link] and [post_author_posts_link] shortcodes will direct people to two different locations in a WordPress website. They'll direct users to the author URL and the author archive, respectively.