Search

How to Change the Image Review Settings on a Canon Rebel Camera

• Thread starter Cameron
  • Start date
Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
You may have never heard about, or even thought about, image review, but I’m sure you’ve seen it. Image review is the brief period of time a photo displays on the back of a camera immediately after the photo is taken. By default, on Canon DSLR cameras, this time is set to 2 seconds. You can change that. That’s easy. The thing is, I want to talk about a few other things regarding this topic before I get to the meat of things. Don’t worry, it’ll be fun.

In today’s post, I’d like to discuss what happens inside your camera right after you take a photo and what you can do to disrupt and “bend” these actions to your liking. I’m going to show you a few small tricks that can truly customize your experience during any photo shoot. Since photographers generally take tons of photos quite often, these small tweaks may play a large role in what you do in the field.

Image Review – What Is It?​

Let’s say you just pressed the shutter button on your favorite Canon Rebel camera. For me, that would be both the Canon T3i and the Canon T6i. Both of these devices operate in generally the same way, barring a few modifications here and there. The shot is taken via either the viewfinder or the LCD screen and the same thing happens. For two seconds, the image that was just captured appears on the LCD screen. Then, the screen goes back to whatever it was doing before the photo was taken. That two seconds is called Image Review. The camera is letting you review the image.

Deleting a Photo During Image Review​

Since many of us take so many photos and since many of us look at our photos right after taking them (via image review), it only makes sense that we should have the ability to quickly get rid of any photo we’d like to get rid of. To delete a photo during image review, simply press the Delete button, or commonly known as the “little button with the garbage can icon on it.”

delete-button.jpg

Doing that will give you two options; Cancel or Erase. Use the right arrow on the back of the camera to select the Erase option and then press the Set button to actually do the erasing.

Displaying Photo Information During Image Review​

I love looking at the data associated with photographs I take . Shutter speed, aperture and the histogram are my definite favorites. A really cool little trick for reviewing this type of data right after taking a shot is to press the Info button during Image Review.

info-button.jpg

As you can see, there’s all sorts of information available after pushing the Info button. We’ve got shutter speed, ISO, aperture, photo number, file size, the histogram and more. And if you push the same button a few times in a row, you’ll see different screens that display either more or less information. Pretty cool.

Adjusting the Image Review Time​

There are some folks out there who never look at the backs of their cameras while shooting photos at all. I’m not one of those people. I can image those types want Image Review turned off all together. For me, I’d prefer to have it on longer than the default 2 seconds. Luckily, Canon has given us an area to adjust things that will make us all happy. We can turn the review off, set it to a time or keep it on forever. In this final section, I’ll show you exactly how to adjust this setting.

If you press the Menu button on the back of the camera while it’s not in use, you’ll see the camera’s menu area appear.

menu-button.jpg

Once the menu appears, use the left or right arrow keys on the back of the camera to switch to the first menu, if it’s not already active.

Next, use the down arrow to highlight the Image Review section. Once it’s highlighted, press the Set button. That will bring you into the Image Review menu area.

image-review-menu.jpg

Inside of this menu, you can use the up or down arrows on the back of the camera to alter the setting of the Image Review. The settings range from Off, 2 Second, 4 Second, 8 Second to Hold. Off means that no image review will occur, Hold means that once a photo is taken, it’ll be in review mode for eternity, unless you press another button on the camera to escape it and finally, the second durations set the length of time the photo will stay in review mode.

As I mentioned above, Canon’s default duration is 2 seconds. If I wanted to change this to something else like, say, 4 seconds, I would use the down arrow to move down one notch and then press the Set button to save my edit. After I did that, I’d see the new setting.

edited-image-review.jpg

That’s it! To get out of the menu mode, all you need to do is press the Menu button again and you’ll be taking photos in no time. Just remember, even if you choose the Hold setting for Image Review, you can always get out of reviewing the photo by pressing any button on the camera. That’s just the way things work.

PS – This post can definitely help with many Canon Rebel cameras, including the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i and the T7i (and T8i).

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score

How to Change the Image Review Settings on Your Canon Rebel DSLR Camera​

If there’s one thing I can’t stand, it’s taking a photo of something while I have my camera in Live View mode and then, when I go to look at the image on the back of the camera, it’s only there for a second or two before it disappears. I know I’m not supposed to be looking at every photo I take and that I’m supposed to be concentrating on my photography instead, but I’m not always at a race track or a sports game that requires very active participation. Sometimes I’m just sitting someplace quietly trying to take some decent photos. It’s so annoying to have the image review only last for the default two seconds.

In this very brief post, I’d like to show you how to change the Image Review setting on your Canon Rebel DSLR camera. This is a simple change that can be made in about three seconds. And what I’ll share with you below is good for many Canon Rebels, such as the T2i, T3i, T4i, T5i, T6i and the T7i.

canon-eos-rebel-t6i.jpg

Changing the Image Review Setting​

There are a few different options when it comes to the length of time you can review an image on these Canon cameras. The ranges goes from no review at all to no time limit at all. In between are two second, four second and eight second options. If you’d like to extend the two seconds, but still want the camera to automatically get rid of the image after some time, you can always opt for the eight second option. In my opinion, I say the Hold option is best, because that’s the one where there’s no limit. When you take a photo and then review it on the back of the camera, the image will stay there as long as you’d like it to. To make it disappear so you can begin taking pictures again, all you need to do is half press the shutter button. It’s that easy and this option puts the power back in your hands, regarding what you’d like to happen in these instances.

To change the setting, press the Menu button on the back of your camera. Then, with the left and right arrow buttons, navigate to the red section that has the Image Review option available.

settings-screen.jpg

Next, use the up and down arrow buttons to navigate to the Image Review option. Press the Set button to enter it and then when the review options are visible, use the up and down arrow keys to navigate to the time setting you want and then press the Set button to accept your changes.

image-review-options.jpg

When you’re all finished, press the Menu button again and again to back out of the menu area. Finally, get out there and start taking photos!

I hope I clearly explained how to change the image review setting on your Canon EOS DSLR camera. If you have any questions or if you have anything to add to this post, please do so below. Or, you can always ask your Canon questions and find answers in our Canon Camera Forum. Thanks for reading!

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score

Can I Change the Setting For How Long I Review a Picture on My Canon Camera?​

Question: I am getting a little tired of taking a photo with my Canon T7i and having that photo only show up on the rear screen for a few seconds and then disappear. Is there a way to change that so I can review the photo longer than only a few seconds? I have a Canon Rebel T7i. Thanks.

Answer: Yes you can. If you are in Live View mode and then click the Menu button on the back of your camera, you’ll enter the settings area. From there, you want to use the arrow buttons on the back of your camera to find the screen that has the Image Review option on it. Use the arrow buttons again to go to that setting and then push the Set button to enter the options area. From there, you’ll want to use the arrow buttons again to go to the option you want. The default is two seconds, but you can go with something longer. Most photographers use the Hold option because that one shows the image on the back LCD screen as long as you’d like. When you choose your option, use the Set button to change the setting. After taking a photo and you’re finished reviewing it, you can hide the image by just half-pressing the shutter button and you should be all set.

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score

How Can I Zoom In & Out With Image Review on Canon Rebel T7i (800D)?​

Question: After I capture a scene with my Canon Rebel T7i (800D), I can see the image on my Live View for a few seconds afterwards. To view the image for a longer period of time, I push the small Play button that’s on the lower right portion of the back of the camera. I can flip through the pictures that way. My question is, how can I zoom in and out to view the pictures more close up? I’d like to really inspect each photo after it’s taken.

Answer: When in review mode on your Canon Rebel T7i, you can press the button that’s located in the upper right corner of the rear of the camera to zoom. One of the buttons has a minus sign on it and the other has a plus sign. Press the one with the plus sign to zoom in.

When you zoom in, you won’t be able to see the entire shot anymore. You’ll have to navigate around the image to get an up-close view of the picture you took. On older cameras, you’d have to use the arrow keys on the back of the camera to scroll back and forth and up and down. With the T7i, since it’s touch screen, you can pinch and spread your fingers to zoom in and out and then just drag your finger around the LCD screen to move the image around so you can see all parts of it. This is a great way to review the quality of your images to determine if you need to retake any of them.