Search

How to Use the Clone Stamp Tool in Photoshop

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
The Clone Stamp Tool in Adobe Photoshop can be an extremely handy solution to many issues you may face while editing photos and images in Adobe Photoshop. There are actually a few other newer tools that can handle situations in similar manners today, but the Clone Stamp Tool has been around a long time and is definitely a staple in many an editor's toolbox. In simple terms, this tool can make problem areas in images go away. When used, it takes a snapshot (or sample) of one area of an image and then that area, at the user's behest, gets painted over another area. So, if you wanted to remove a blemish on a model's cheek, you'd sample an area of the cheek that has no blemish and simply use that sampled area to paint over the blemish. It really is that simple.

In today's post, I'll be working through a quick demonstration in order to teach you exactly how the Clone Stamp Tool works inside of Photoshop. Again, this isn't a difficult tool to work with, but you do need to understand a few key concepts to get the most out of it.

How to Access the Clone Stamp Tool​

After opening Photoshop and launching the image I'd like to work on, I'll head over to the left toolbar, where I'll click the tenth (at the time of this writing) tool down from the top. If I hover my mouse pointer over the tool, I'll see a popup that says Clone Stamp Tool (s). If I click and drag out to the right, I'll see two tools; the Clone Stamp Tool as well as the Pattern Stamp Tool. I'll make sure to select the top one.

photoshop-clone-stamp-tool-toolbar.gif

After I click the tool, I'll notice the options bar up top change. This is what it looks like:

photoshop-clone-stamp-tool-options-bar.gif

For this tutorial, I'll concern myself with Opacity, Flow, Size, and Hardness. I'll keep the Opacity at 100% and the Flow at 100%. Inside the brush panel, I'll set the Size to 40 pixels and Hardness to 0%. My goal is to remove one of the birds in the photo and I think 40 pixels will do that just fine. Also, since I'm working on a photograph with slight gradients and textures, I want any work I do to blend into the background, so a softer edged brush would be beneficial for that. A lower Hardness level is a softer edge.

photoshop-clone-stamp-tool-brush-panel.gif

The Original Image​

Let's take a look at the image I'll be working on today. I haven't done anything to this yet.

ducks-flying.jpg

Using the Clone Stamp Tool​

Let's see - I think I'll go ahead and remove the first duck in the group. As I mentioned above, to operate the Clone Stamp Tool, I'll need to select, or sample, an area of the photo that I'd like to replace the duck with. In this case, I'll Alt+click about two inches in front of the duck. That'll put the sky in my clipboard as a sample. So yes, in order to sample, I'll need to hold the Alt key on my keyboard down and then click an area of the image.

After I sample the area I want to replace the duck with (the sky), I'll then move my mouse pointer, or Clone Stamp Tool brush, over the duck. Let's see what that looks like.

photoshop-sample-clone-stamp-tool.jpg

Do you see how the sky is beginning to be painted over the duck? It's soft, but it's there. I'll now click and paint until the entire duck is gone.

photoshop-removed-duck.jpg

And that's what the Clone Stamp Tool in Adobe Photoshop is used for.

But wait, there's more.

How Far Does the Clone Stamp Tool Go?​

This is kind of a tricky concept to grasp. When I click someplace in the image to sample, the tool doesn't just sample that specific spot. It actually samples the entire image. So If I paint over just a small area, like I did above, everything is fine. But if I continue painting to my heart's content, other objects in the image will appear where they're unexpected.

For instance, let's say I sample the area directly in front of the first duck. Then, I go off and paint over that first duck. The duck disappears as expected, but if I continue painting to the left in the area that was behind the duck, the duck will reappear in that different location. The reason for this is that I am actually repainting the entire image, not just the one spot, as I alluded to above.

Compare these two images:

photoshop-original-duck.jpg

photoshop-replaced-duck.jpg

Do you see how I moved the first duck? To do that, I simply sampled in front of it and painted it until it was gone. Then, I continued on painting behind it and it reappeared in a new location. Pretty cool.

Moving Objects with the Clone Stamp Tool​

If what I just shared above is true, that means that I should be able to sample an actual object in the photo and then paint that object somewhere else. Let's see if that works. I'll go ahead and sample the cluster of three birds and then paint them directly in front of the new first bird in the group.

photoshop-clone-stamp-tool-moved-object.jpg

See how easy that is?

The Clone Stamp Tool in Adobe Photoshop is very easy to begin working with, will frustrate you after a few minutes, and then will become easy to work with again after you give it some time. It's an extremely helpful tool and if you want to become serious and get better with working in Photoshop, I encourage you to begin using it regularly. It'll assist you greatly in the future.

Do you have any questions regarding this post? If so, drop 'em down below. Any concerns or something to add? Drop that down below too. Thanks!

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score

Copying Objects & Areas with the Clone Stamp Tool in Adobe Photoshop​

It is of my humble opinion that the wide majority of Adobe Photoshop users don’t use nearly enough of the tools that are available to them. While I can’t be absolutely certain of this statement, I’m fairly certain. My own history demonstrates this as well as the histories of many friends of mine who have used this application. This is a shame too because most of the tools that aren’t used are actually very simple to get a grasp of.

Back in the beginning of my training, I can remember avoiding the entire center section of tools that exist in the left vertical toolbar. Perhaps I didn’t need them or perhaps they were there but I didn’t know how to use them. Either way, for years, I avoided them like the plague.

One of the tools I wish I had taken the time to learn about is called the Clone Stamp Tool. If memory serves, at one point, I attempted to see what this tool did and I got lost in a whole lot of nothing. I made a mess of things and decided that I should keep on wondering about it because I knew it was too advanced for my limited needs. Today, I know that wasn’t true because, as you’ll see below, this wonderful tool can be a lifesaver under the right circumstances.

If you’ve never used the Clone Stamp Tool before, you’re in for a treat. It’ll take just a few minutes to explain how it works and then you can let your imagination run wild with the possibilities. It’s pretty intense and fun at the same time.

In today’s post, I’m going to quickly demonstrate how to copy a tree in a winter’s field using this tool. I’ll make a direct copy of the tree and then explain a few tips that can make your life a lot easier if you decide to undertake something similar.

The Idea Behind the Clone Stamp Tool​

Here’s what the Clone Stamp Tool does. It uses a brush to take a sample of a specific area of an image. Then, it remembers that sample and allows the user to place it anywhere else on the image. When the user does that, they have the ability to paint a larger and larger area, so a duplicate (or clone) area begins to form. The reason this tool is confusing for many who don’t know how to use it is because they’ll oftentimes take a sample unknowingly and then paint all over the place in wonder of what in the heck they’re doing. When they realize the process isn’t intuitive, they abandon the tool in its entirety. Trust me, this is an easy tool that you’ll have a lot of fun with. For the remainder of this post, I’ll graphically describe what I just wrote above.

Demo Photo​

Some photos are better than others when it comes time to use this tool. The reason I chose the one below is because there’s a wide open area next to the tree I plan on duplicating. That open area is perfect to create the clone.

winter-tree-field.jpg

Clone Tool Settings​

While there are numerous ways to set this tool up in the options bar, a few particular settings are important and very popular. The two options I’d like to focus on here are the Aligned option and the Sample drop-down options.

options-bar.jpg

For these two options, I’ll let Adobe explain in their own words:

AlignedSamples pixels continuously, without losing the current sampling point, even if you release the mouse button. Deselect Aligned to continue to use the sampled pixels from the initial sampling point each time you stop and resume painting.

SampleSamples data from the layers you specify. To sample from the active layer and visible layers below it, choose Current And Below. To sample only from the active layer, choose Current Layer. To sample from all visible layers, choose All Layers. To sample from all visible layers except adjustment layers, choose All Layers and click the Ignore Adjustment Layers icon to the right of the Sample pop‑up menu.

Think of it this way; if the Aligned box wasn’t checked, I could take a sample of the tree in the photo above. Then, I could make one duplicate of the tree and then another and another after that. There would be no end to my madness. When I check the Align box, I am limited to one tree. No matter what I do, just one iteration of the tree can be made, even if I let go of my mouse button and try to paint again.

Regarding the Sample drop-down, I always choose Sample All Layers. The reason for this is simple. When duplicating objects in my files, I can easily sample from a lower layer and paint the object on a new layer that I created above that image layer. This way, no matter what I do, I can’t screw up the original, making the process non-destructive. You’ll see more of what I’m referring to below.

I’ve already discussed Flow and Opacity in previous posts, so I’ll leave them alone. Those are easy to understand anyway.

Choosing the Clone Stamp Tool​

The first thing I’m going to do here is to create a new layer to make the copy on. So, I’ll head down to the Create New Layer icon at the bottom of the Layers panel and click. This will create a new layer right above the background layer that contains the photograph.

create-new-layer.jpg

Next, I’ll select the Clone Stamp Tool from the left vertical toolbar.

clone-stamp-tool.jpg

Finally, I’ll head up to the options bar and choose a brush size and change the hardness so it’s very soft. I’ll also check the Aligned check box and set the Sample drop-down to All Layers.

brush-size-1.jpg

The brush size I chose measures about one inch on my computer screen, or one fifth of the width of the object I’d like to copy. For more information about brushes and how to set them up for use, please read through this post:

How to Adjust the Brush Tool Settings in Adobe Photoshop

Now I’m ready for work.

Making a Copy of the Tree​

To take a sample, I’ll need to hold down the Alt key on my keyboard. After I do that, the brush I chose will turn into a crosshairs. Once that happens, I can hover over the center of the object and click my left mouse button. Now, there’s something very important here to be cautious of. When sampling, be sure to have the layer you want to sample from selected in the Layers panel. If not, and if you have the empty layer selected, you won’t be actually sampling anything. Don’t worry, you’ll learn this lesson fast after you don’t sample anything a few times by mistake.

I just took a sample of the tree and moved my mouse to the right, where I’d like to begin making my duplicate.

sampled-area.jpg

At this point, all I need to do is to select the empty layer in the Layers panel to draw on and draw the tree. As I’m doing this, I’ll see the tree appear on the right and the crosshairs move around the area I’m copying on the left. Eventually, with a little care, I’ll see a duplicate of the tree.

duplicate-trees.jpg

And I’ll also notice that the copy of the tree is on its own layer, so I didn’t disturb the original at all.

duplicate-tree-empty-layer.jpg

The Possibilities​

I want you to think about what just happened for a moment. Not only did I just duplicate an object by using the Clone Stamp Tool in Photoshop, I could have just as easily covered up an object with something else by doing the same exact thing. I could have moved the tree or made it disappear all together. This is a very versatile tool that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Fixing the Area by Masking & Selecting​

You may have noticed that there is some discoloration around the branches of the tree. There are a number of different ways to remove the darker sky so the lighter one shows through. You can use the Eraser Tool or, more preferably, use a mask and the regular Brush Tool. I’ll leave the masking and brushwork up to you, but I will lead you to a nice resource on the topic. It’s a great post I wrote a while back. More precisely, scroll down to the Masking with the Brush Tool section to see what you can do with a situation like this.

What are Layer Masks in Adobe Photoshop?

Personally, in this case, I’d use the select by color range feature because there really is a distinct color difference between the lighter background and the darker sky of the area I brought over. I don’t have to worry about mixing the branches of the tree in there because they’re a different color as well. To learn how to take advantage of this feature, please read this post:

Changing Colors with Color Range Selection in Adobe Photoshop

Or, you could just use the Magic Wand Tool to select and delete any area that’s off color. If you did that, you might end up with something that looks like the photo below.

finished-image.jpg

If you do decide to use the Magic Wand Tool, this is the post you’ll definitely want to read. It’s really thorough.

Inverting & Coloring with the Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop

After you fix up the color issue, you’ll have a nice duplicated tree on its own layer with the original layer undisturbed. Perfect.

——

I know this topic can be sort of complex. I tried my best to stay focused and to not stray off into other areas. Basically, take away the idea that you can clone, move or hide different areas of an image with the Clone Stamp Tool in Photoshop. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please leave them in the comment section below. Thanks for reading!