Search

Layer Masks & Type Effects in Adobe Photoshop

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date
KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I’ve been sitting at my desk messing around in Photoshop this morning and I think I found a pretty neat little type effect that can be used in many different situations. My original goal was much more complicated than what I ended up with and I’m happy about that (that it ended up less complicated). I much prefer simple things and if they can look as cool as what I managed to pull off, that’s all the better.

In today’s post, I’ll be using a long exposure photograph of sparks to create a selection. Then, I’ll apply that selection to the (random) word “Sparks” as a layer mask. From there, I’ll adjust the color of the text and invert the mask a few times to see the results. I may even create a new layer for the selection itself to see how it sits on top of the text. This is basically a continuation of my morning of experimentation, so I’m just going to keep it casual and have fun. Yes, this is what I do with my free time.

As I work through this project below, think about how you can apply the same technique to your own images. You may not like pictures of sparks and flame, but you may like smoke or plants or something much different like that. This technique is versatile, so you’re only limited by your imagination.

This is the original image I’ll be working with.

long-exposure-sparks.jpg

I’ll start off by typing out the word SPARKS in its own layer on top of the text.

sparks-text.jpg

Then, I’ll turn off the visibility of the text by clicking on the layer eye icon in the Layers panel. After that, I’ll select the sparks photo layer again by clicking on it and then I’ll go to the Select > Color Range menu item and click.

select-color-range.jpg

When the Color Range dialog appears, I’ll make sure the orange sparks are highlighted in white in the preview panel and then I’ll click the OK button to select them.

color-range-dialog.jpg

If you need help working with the color range selection tool in Photoshop, you can search for “Color Range” in the website search bar above. I’ve got lots of posts that cover this topic. Here’s one of them:

Changing Colors with Color Range Selection in Adobe Photoshop

Next, I’ll click the text layer eye icon again to make the text visible and then I’ll click on that text layer in the Layers panel to make it active. This is what the workspace looks like.

selection.jpg

Then, I’ll click on the Add Layer Mask (which turns into Add Vector Mask because of the text application) icon at the bottom of the Layers panel. This is what the workspace will look like after I do this.

masked-text.jpg

And this is what the Layers panel will look like.

layers-panel.jpg

Since the background photo layer is still visible, I’ll add a new solid color layer in between the two existing layers to hide it. To do this, I’ll click the Add New Fill or Adjustment Layer button at the bottom of the Layers panel and in the menu that appears, I’ll choose the Add Solid Color option.

add-solid-color-option.jpg

I’ll make sure the color is black and again, I’ll make sure this layer is above the background photo layer and beneath the masked text layer.

new-solid-color-layer.jpg

This is the result of my efforts so far.

masked-sparks-text-layer.jpg

From here, I can begin to get even more creative. I can easily invert the layer mask to see the initial color of the text show through with the sparks as black. To invert the mask, I’ll click on it in the Layers panel to make it active and then I’ll use the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+I. This is the result of doing that.

inverted-layer-mask.jpg

Finally, because it’s so easy to select these sparks using the Color Range command, I can hide all the layers except for the bottom photo layer and make the selection again. Once I have that, I’ll copy and paste it into a new layer with the Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V keyboard shortcuts. I’ll make sure this new layer is on the very top of the stack and then I’ll reveal all of the layers once more. This final effect makes things appear as if the sparks on in the foreground and the text is hovering in the background behind them. Take a look.

mask-overlay-text.jpg

From here, I can change the color of the text, invert the mask and do any number of creative things to the elements I’ve created in the document. I’ll stop here though and let you continue on to come up with something fabulous. My work is done.

If you have any questions about this masking text effect in Adobe Photoshop, please let me know in the comment section below or in the Photoshop discussion board. Thanks for reading!

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score

Adding a Vector Mask to Text in Photoshop​

I recently wrote a post that discussed making a selection in Photoshop and then converting that selection into a vector mask. The vector mask was applied to some text and it appeared to somewhat integrate itself into the text to offer a very cool effect. To read the post and see all the screenshots I included in it, click through below.

Layer Masks & Type Effects in Adobe Photoshop

In this post here, I wanted to give a quick synopsis of the longer version. What I did in the previous post was simple enough and if you’re dealing with a similar type of photo as I did there, you shouldn’t have any issues. What you’ll need is a clearly defined high contrast image to start off with. I used a photo of some sparks being twirled at night in the dark. The light of the sparks was definitely a contrast to the darkness of the environment. I then selected those sparks and masked them from the text. The outlines and shapes of the sparks were cut out of the text. Very cool.

Okay, to begin, I typed out some text in a new text layer. Then, I hid that layer from view by clicking the small eye icon in the Layers panel. I selected the bottom photo layer again and then used the Select > Color Range option from the menu. When the Color Range dialog appeared, I made some adjustments so all of the sparks were selected. I’ll tell you that this wasn’t very difficult because of the contrast between the sparks and the darkness that I mentioned above. The sparks were orange and the night time air was black.

Once the sparks were selected, I clicked on the OK button to close out the dialog box and then I clicked on the text layer eye icon again to make the text visible once more. I clicked on that layer to make it active and then I went to the bottom of the Layers panel and clicked the Add Vector Mask option. I’m assuming the Add Layer Mask button changed to the vector version because of the vector characteristics of text in Photoshop. After I did that, the mask was implemented and the sparks were either removed to the text or the text was removed from the sparks. Take a look at the post to see what I’m referring to. I did invert the mask a few times, which added to the coolness factor. It’s fun to flip back and forth to see which offers a better effect.

If you have any questions about how to deal with vector masks while working in Adobe Photoshop, please ask me below. I’m always here to help and I’ll do what I can. Thanks!