Search

Trashed Appearing in WordPress URL

• Thread starter EmeraldHike
  • Start date
EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I was writing a post on my WordPress blog a few days ago when I accidentally clicked the "Move to Trash" button. I visited the trash page where my post was and undeleted it. I finished my post and published it. Well, just this morning I noticed that the URL for that live post isn't anything other than the word "__trashed." The entire URL reads:

mysite.com/__trashed/

or

mysite.com/__trashed

I don't remember if there is a trailing slash or not. I can't seem to find where the problem lies. Any advice? I'd obviously like to get the URL back to what it's supposed to be.

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
EmeraldHike said:
I was writing a post on my WordPress blog a few days ago when I accidentally clicked the "Move to Trash" button. I visited the trash page where my post was and undeleted it. I finished my post and published it. Well, just this morning I noticed that the URL for that live post isn't anything other than the word "__trashed." The entire URL reads:

mysite.com/__trashed/

or

mysite.com/__trashed

I don't remember if there is a trailing slash or not. I can't seem to find where the problem lies. Any advice? I'd obviously like to get the URL back to what it's supposed to be.
There are a few things that may be causing this. I'll list their solutions:

1. Something may be interfering with your URL slug. Visit both the trashed pages and posts areas and clear all the trash out. This may solve the issue. Basically, empty the trash.

2. A plugin may be causing this issue. Go through all of your plugins and disable them one by one to see if the issue is corrected. If you disable a plugin and the issue goes away, then that plugin may have been the culprit.

3. Visit the post editor in the WordPress admin or quick edit it. Take a look at the current slug. If it contains "__trashed," delete that slug and save the page again. You should see the normal slug once again.

The last one is the most common solution. I have no idea why trashed gets inserted into the page or post slug, but once you know the solution, you'll be able to easily rectify it now and in the future.

• Love
Reactions: ChChis and EmeraldHike
EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Cameron said:

1. Something may be interfering with your URL slug. Visit both the trashed pages and posts areas and clear all the trash out. This may solve the issue. Basically, empty the trash.

2. A plugin may be causing this issue. Go through all of your plugins and disable them one by one to see if the issue is corrected. If you disable a plugin and the issue goes away, then that plugin may have been the culprit.

3. Visit the post editor in the WordPress admin or quick edit it. Take a look at the current slug. If it contains "__trashed," delete that slug and save the page again. You should see the normal slug once again.

The last one is the most common solution. I have no idea why trashed gets inserted into the page or post slug, but once you know the solution, you'll be able to easily rectify it now and in the future.
YES! The third option solved my problem. I went to the post editor and on the right side I found the (under the Post tab) Permalink section and then found the __trashed slug text. I just deleted that and saved the post again and everything was better. Thank you!

C

ChChis

Reaction Score
Cameron said:

Thanks for your response! Are there any ways to avoid this or be aware when it appears?

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
ChChis said:
Thanks for your response! Are there any ways to avoid this or be aware when it appears?
After writing a post, go to your homepage and click the link to it. Take a look at the URL. If it looks good, then you can assume everything is okay.

Reactions: ChChis