Search

Learning to Code

• Thread starter CampFireJack
  • Start date
CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
Learing to code isn't as easy as everyone makes it sound. There's a lot of recruitment out there for people to get into this field, but the truth of the matter is, there are a ton of roadblocks along the way. In this thread, I'd like to share some of what I encountered when I first began dipping my big toe into the world of coding.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

Coding With Treehouse​

treehouse-homepage11.jpg

I'll be the first one to admit that my coding got away from me. I began developing websites way back in the late 90s and since then, I've sort of kept up with the industry, but...not really.

I think this affliction is common among a few of us. Learn something, copy/paste, create a hack, borrow someone else's code - get it done. Probably not the best way to do things but it has managed to get everything finished along the way that needed to get finished.

Unfortunately (and fortunately), the web development industry has hit overdrive the past few years. Basically, mobile has taken over (one of my sites has over 50% mobile viewership), HTML5 has arrived (Oct 2014) and there are simply way too many cool features of CSS3 to ignore. That's not to mention the frameworks, CMSs and assisting applications that have popped up out of nowhere. And apps - don't even get me going on apps. Basically, the little vacation I took for the past ten years has caught up with me.

There's good news though! Recently - and by recently I mean, say around 2010 - many websites have come into being that offer a wide variety of classes on coding. I'm thinking that part of the reason I ignored keeping up on the latest developments was that I was getting tired of learning via reading technical books. If there was video, I'd be there. Also, the whole mobile thing didn't exist like it does today, so there was little motivation to change something that wasn't broken.

Here's a quick list of a few websites that offer coding education:

- Treehouse
- Code Academy
- Code School
- Udemy
- Lynda
- PluralSight

Now mind you, a few of these sites also teach other things, such as writing, photography, Photoshop, etc... If you want to learn it, it may be online and it's pretty cheap. I joined Treehouse for $25 per month and I'm getting a whopping education. So far, I've taken classes in HTML, CSS and JavaScript and plan on continuing on with jQuery, PHP, development tools, WordPress (theme creation, plugins) and some business stuff. At $25 per month, I'm floored at what I get.

For the past few weeks, I've had my head buried at my computer. That's why I haven't written much on this blog. I've been consuming hours of my day learning the latest and greatest (and proper) ways of doing things. And get this - I learn at my own pace. Now, I now that sounds like some commercial, but let me tell you what I was up against at college - other people. What I mean by that is, if there was a genius in my class, he'd lose me. If there was someone in my class who was slower than I was, he'd hold me back. And when it comes to coding and designing, I'm pretty quick. I learn and read at a healthy rate and I really don't need to be held back. Or flown by, for that matter.

Like I said above, I chose Treehouse to start out. I did a bit of poking around before I made the plunge and found their format to align well with my personality. There are certainly enough classes to keep me busy for the rest of my life and they're always adding new things. It's assuring to know that I've got a resource that I can rely on to keep me moving along in the tech world. For a while there, I was getting down on myself for not keeping up. Now, I've got a spring in my step that I haven't had in years. It's good to be back.

I do want to mention one thing about the sites that I listed above - some of them are "pay per class" and some are "pay per month." I know some folks prefer to pay per class because it offers a degree of freedom to take breaks here and there and not incur a charge, but for me, I prefer the pay per month model. I've taken advantage of so many classes and sections in the past month that I'm ahead of the game. Had I paid per class, I would have had to shell out much more cash than the $25 I already spent.

I've got a question for you. What do you do? Are you into technology? Do you code or develop websites or apps? If you do, please let me know below. I'm always looking to become acquainted with folks who speak the same language.

CaptainDan

CaptainDan

Reaction Score
It’s amazing how you can pivot your skill set for a nominal amount that can cost thousands in a brick and mortar institution.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
CaptainDan said:
It’s amazing how you can pivot your skill set for a nominal amount that can cost thousands in a brick and mortar institution.
No doubt my friend. I still can’t believe it. I’m in the middle of a JavaScript course, learning about functions. Up next, loops and arrays.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

HTML, CSS, JavaScript - What's the Difference?​

treehouse-course-library.png

I figured I'd give you a quick update regarding my learning with Treehouse. It's been around a month and I've got some things to say.

First, I'll break this post down into categories by covering the classes I've taken so far. Some of the classes were review while some (most) were new and extremely valuable. I learned things I was unaware of and was updated in areas I was already familiar with.

HTML

Completed
- How to Make a Website
- HTML Forms
- HTML Tables
- HTML

To Do
- HTML Video and Audio
- SVG Basics
- Accessibility
- Coding Your First HTML5 Game

My opinion of HTML is this: It just is. From what I can gather, HTML has dropped all aspects of styling and has become totally semantic. It's basically the frame for everything else. While the <b> tag still exists in HTML5, it has no meaning beyond bolding text on a page for the benefit of the user. The <strong> tag has meaning. It describes importance. HTML5 really likes "semantics." But like I said above, HTML just is. Learning its attributes and elements, while necessary, is fairly straightforward.

CSS

Completed
- CSS Basics
- CSS Selectors
- CSS Layout Techniques

To Do
- CSS Beyond the Basics
- Modular CSS with Sass
- Advanced Sass
- Creating a Compass Extension
- Compass Basics
- Framework Basics
- Sass Basics
- Creating a CSS Marquee
- CSS Best Practices
- Media Queries
- New Featured in CSS

As you can see, CSS is somewhat more involved than HTML is. While HTML, "is," CSS requires imagination. There are different ways of doing things and without a good head on your shoulders, you can get lost or find yourself relegated to the basics. CSS has evolved to offer answers to questions that HTML once tried to answer. Also, there is now functionality that simply didn't exist years ago. Whether or not you notice it, CSS has dramatically altered the user experience online. The thing is though, even as "imaginative" as CSS allow you to be, it's still on the playing field with the straightforward HTML. It sort of "is" as well - meaning, you write some code and the browser interacts with the website. While there is an aspect of seeming interaction with the user, the true interaction is between technologies. The code is written. It doesn't change. What's done is done.

JavaScript

Completed
- JavaScript Basics
- Introduction to Programming
- JavaScript Loops, Arrays and Object (half way through)

To Do
- Node.js Basics
- Angular JS
- Ember.js
- Interactive Web Pages with JavaScript
- AJAX Basics
- jQuery Basics

Just to let you know, each topic area has multiple workshops that I'm not mentioning here. For instance, JavaScript has workshops like, "Building with Angular JS and APIs" and "Programming Step-by-Step: Object-Oriented JavaScript." Like I said, each area offers workshops and some of them are quite interesting.

I'm surprised by the depth of JavaScript. It's a beast unto itself. Those in the industry say that JavaScript is the programming language of the web. It's grown leaps and bounds since its inception. It does remind me of my early days when I tried to learn PHP though, so the territory isn't totally unfamiliar.

While HTML is fairly straightforward and CSS is somewhat straightforward (but still a heck of a lot to learn), JavaScript is someplace else. As all programming is, I suppose. And I think the real difference stems from the fact that HTML and CSS aren't programming languages. They're a markup language and a style sheet language, respectively. JavaScript is a programming language, and in that, it's meant to "...automate performing a specific task or solving a given problem." It's tricky and it's tough to comprehend and I've read in quite a few places that you never actually stop learning it. A JavaScript veteran of over 15 years described his journey with the language "endless" and that he "still doesn't have a firm grasp on it."

There are many areas of web design and development that require various types of minds. From the inception, functionality and design of a web site to the coding of the structure and layout of it to the programming the interactivity of it, a wide variety of personality styles are needed. I guess the days of, "Hey, I can make you a website" are sort of history.I suppose you can set something up quickly if need be, but for anything more advanced, you need training in different areas.

Back to my Treehouse update. It's going well. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I think there's enough to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I've already purchased a book on HTML5 and one on CSS3 for reference. Tomorrow, my JavaScript book should be arriving. This will be for reference as well, as I've discovered that I learn better by watching video and doing small projects.

There are a few areas that I'm going to jump into after a few months. Treehouse offers classes on the business side of web design as well as the design side. Photoshop, Illustrator, logo creation, etc...I think it's all interesting and I don't want to leave anything on the table.

For $25 per month, I can't believe what I'm getting. This whole endeavor has led me to many new areas of the industry that I've either forgotten about or never knew existed. What I'm particularly interested in is the new frameworks and tools developers use these days. I can't wait to get around to using them. It'll take a while though, because I'm making an effort not to put the cart before the horse with this. The basics need to come first.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

Web Design & Development Sites I Like​

I'm going to make this page an ongoing list of sites I enjoy reading. Of course, they'll pertain to web design and development, so rest assured, if you like that type of thing, I've done a bit of homework for you and you can browse below with confidence.

Many of the owners of the sites I've listed here are fairly die-hard computer folk. That's what I like about them. These aren't people who get online in passing or have once or twice attempted to make development part of their lives. Like any of the true web types, these people eat, sleep and live everything web. With that said, please enjoy what I've managed to locate - some of the best of the best.

Impressive Webs
This is probably my favorite site so far. The articles are written by Louis Lazaris and are chock full of really great information. Louis is a managing editor at SitePoint. Some examples of his content are how to write tutorials for your own website, topics like CSS, JavaScript and coding in general, as well as designing, email campaigns - you name it. I'd say that if you have the opportunity to get inside someone's head who has these kinds of credentials, take it.

Julie Kuehl
I discovered Julie's website a few days ago and after reading through some of her posts, I decided to add it to this list. Julie is a WordPress developer who has quite the interesting background, as attested to on her "About" page. Currently, Julie is participating in a WordPress course in Omaha and is blogging about her experiences. If you get a chance, check out her site.

Smashing Magazine
Smashing Magazine is probably one of the most popular go-to websites for designers and developers alike. It's been around since 2006 and covers many areas of development, such as coding, design, mobile, graphics, UX design and WordPress. The folks over at Smashing have also put together many books and ebooks through the years, so if you're into this realm, put this on your list of must sees.

WordPress Development by Tom McFarlin
If you're into WordPress development, you most likely have a few blogs and websites that you head over to every so often to see what's going on in that world. If you haven't browsed it yet, Tom McFarlin has one such site. Tom's a professional WordPress developer and offers fairly continuous commentary that covers topics such as tips, resources and living the WordPress lifestyle. Tom's website truly is a valuable resources - if for nothings else, just to be sure you're on the same playing field as the pros.

Designs by Nick the Geek
I stumbled across this website after taking Carrie Dils' Customizing Themes with Genesis for WordPress course on Lynda.com. She mentioned some resources where we could find additional help and tutorials based on the subject. Nick the Geek was one of those resources. After visiting Nick's site, I read through a few posts and signed up for his mailing list. He's really got something great going on over there. While Nick does discuss many areas relating to web design and development, it seems that his primary focus is on StudioPress and Genesis. If you're interested, you can check out his "Genesis Explained" section for yourself. This is a good one.

Learn To Code With Me
This website is owned and operated by Laurence Bradford, a committed life-long student of design and development. I found this site in early 2015 and since then, I've continued to read some very high quality posts. Laurence talks about everything from tools to course reviews to the development industry as a whole. I must warn you, what she's written here is quite long, in-depth and researched well. If you're looking for something quick and dirty, this site isn't for you. But if you're looking for thought out analysis and good information, give this one a once over.

Jesse Petersen of Petersen Media Group
Jesse is one of the teachers I've taken courses with over at Team Treehouse. He put together an fantastic presentation on the Genesis Framework by StudioPress, which, by the way, is what I'm running on this website right now. After learning that Jesse was a Preferred Genesis Developer, I took a look through his website and found a treasure trove of information. The site quickly went on my list of favorites and is now part of this page. If you're interested in Genesis development, take a look at some of Jesse's writing.

Carrie Dils
Carrie is another Genesis developer and has some serious knowledge when it comes to that. It didn't take me long to realize she is an expert in the field. If you look through Carrie's WordPress blog, you'll quickly find more than a few posts that are worthy of bookmarking. As a budding WordPress developer, I find the attention to detail and the many code examples quite helpful. That, along with Carrie's almost two decades of experience, really set her site apart from many others. And FYI, Carrie is also an instructor on Lynda.com. You can view her profile and courses here.

If you know of a great site that fits in with the ones I've listed above, please let me know below. I sure would like to check it out (and perhaps list it here). I particularly enjoy regularly updated websites with the option to receive new posts via email. Thanks!

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

How I'm Learning to Code​

thinking.jpg

I thought I'd write a quick post about the process I've decided to undertake to help accomplish my goal of learning how to code. Now, I know what you're thinking. Probably something along the lines of, "Hey Jay, you really never 'learn' how to code. It's an ongoing endeavor that'll take the rest of your life. And even then, you won't know everything." I get it. You're correct when you say this. But I've got to start somewhere and here is better then someplace else. Also, my goal isn't to learn everything. My goal is to become familiar with this world of coding, development and design and then to really get into it in a much bigger way. And after two months, I'd have to say it's working.

My Process​

So, what's my process? Well, here's what I do. The first thing I did was to sign up for an account at Treehouse. Those are my go-to people. They really do a great job of walking interested folks through the process. As of this writing, I've earned 12,788 points. Not bad, since I only began this journey in the beginning of February 2015.

I do put many hours each day into my learning. I'm still in the "seeing what's out there" phase. I can't get too bogged down with the nitty gritty particulars because I plan on taking each course over again.

Multiple Sources of Information​

At the same time, I'm also a member of Lynda, where I've taken a few courses on JavaScript, WordPress and Genesis. I use Lynda as more of my "lecture" source. Treehouse does a nice job with their version of project based learning. They give quizzes and challenges, while Lynda is more informational. I decided to join Lynda alongside Treehouse, because while taking a JavaScript course at Treehouse, I felt as though I was lacking in some of the more theoretical aspects of programming. Simon Allardice took care of that. I'm currently taking another course with him as well as a "JavaScript for Web Designers" course with Joe Chellman. My method is to get as much exposure from as many sources as possible. While the Treehouse instructors teach very well, they just can't cover everything. I think it's important to fill in the gaps.

Writing It Down​

One of the most critical aspects of understanding code is to write down what you're learning. Creating this website is my effort at accomplishing that. I only began writing about a week ago, but what I'm finding is that if I want to convey an idea to someone, I need to first know what I'm talking about. This is much different than simply sitting and listening to a lecture. It's listening and then teaching.

While much of my day now consists of taking each course in much smaller chunks than I used to, and then writing a post about it, I'm discovering that I'm absorbing and retaining exponentially more knowledge. What I'm doing is truly having an effect and I plan to continue on this path.

The great aspect of creating a journal of what you learn is that you're actually building a portfolio. The more you learn and the more you convey, the bigger your knowledge base gets. The more project and challenges you record, the more you offer to others who may be interested in what you know. Also, it's a super way to reference back to your own style of writing. If you forget something somewhere down the road, you'll certainly remember where to look if you wrote an entire post about it. It really can't get any better than that.

To Recap​

I'll recap what I talked about in this post. I'll give you a nice list of my method for learning how to code.

1. Sign up for an account with a legitimate source of learning. Quick tutorials on Youtube aren't going to cut it when you're attempting to learning something as technical and challenging as coding.

2. Sign up for an account with a complementary source of learning. Two sources are better than one and three are better than two. If you're truly serious, the $25 per source per month shouldn't even make you flinch.

3. Create a venue to express and record what you're learning. The benefits of this are multi-fold, from helping to retain knowledge to encouraging you to look deeper into a topic. Also, your venue will serve as a portfolio in the future.

I think I covered everything here. The process is straightforward enough for anyone to tackle. If you've got any questions, please leave them in the comment section and I'll most definitely get back to you.

Also, if you want to read about other folks' coding journeys, check out the links I jotted down below. They are some inspiring stories.

- 180 Websites in 180 Days: How I Learned to Code

- How I Learned To Code On The Job

- How I Taught Myself to Code in Eight Weeks

- How I Learned to Code in 1 Year

- How I Learned to Code

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

Web Design Courses & Books​

If you've been reading any of my posts, you may have taken notice that I refer to courses I've taken or am currently taking. At this point in my training, that number of courses is growing.

I've been thinking lately - what is this website going to look like in a year? How many posts will I have? If I've taken a large number of online courses or have read a fair amount of books, how will I keep track of them all? After all that thinking, I decided to create this page in an effort to document what I've done. This way, if I have a question or need to refer back, I can easily look at what I've written here. This will be my "log." Mind you, I've taken many more courses than what's listed here. I'm keeping what's below as reference only to what I've written about on this website.

Online Courses​

Treehouse​

HTML

HTML with Nick Pettit

SVG Basics with Nick Pettit

HTML Video and Audio with Nick Pettit

HTML Tables with Nick Pettit

HTML Forms with Nick Pettit

How to Make a Website with Nick Pettit

Accessibility with Nick Pettit

CSS

CSS Basics with Guil Hernandez

Responsive Layouts with Nick Pettit

CSS: Beyond the Basics with Guil Hernandez

CSS Selectors with Guil Hernandez

CSS Layout Techniques with Guil Hernandez

Sass Basics with Hampton Catlin

PHP

PHP Basics with Hampton Paulk

PHP Functions with Hampton Paulk

WordPress

Getting Started with WordPress with Zac Gordon

Customizing the WordPress Admin Area with Zac Gordon

WordPress User Roles with Zac Gordon

The WordPress Codex with Zac Gordon

WordPress Admin Settings with Zac Gordon

Local WordPress Development with Zac Gordon

The WordPress Template Hierarchy with Zac Gordon

PHP for WordPress with Zac Gordon

Modern WordPress Workflow with Jesse Petersen

Genesis Framework Foundations with Jesse Petersen

WordPress Theme Development with Zac Gordon

How to Make a Website with WordPress with Zac Gordon

JavaScript

JavaScript Basics with Dave McFarland

JavaScript Loops, Arrays and Objects with Dave McFarland

Interactive Web Pages with JavaScript with Andrew Chalkley

AJAX Basics with Dave McFarland

jQuery Basics with Andrew Chalkley

Design

UX Basics with Lis Hubert

Logo Design Basics with Mat Helme

Aesthetic Foundations with Nick Pettit

Usability Foundations with Dan Gorgone

Design Foundations with Mat Helme

Development Tools

Front End Performance Optimization with Nick Pettit

Website Optimization with Nick Pettit

Git Basics with Tommy Morgan

Console Foundations with Jim Hoskins

Lynda​

HTML

HTML5: Structure, Syntax, and Semantics with James Williamson

CSS

CSS Fundamentals with James Williamson

JavaScript

JavaScript Essential Training with Simon Allardice

Foundations of Programming: Fundamentals with Simon Allardice

WordPress

Up and Running with Genesis for WordPress with Carrie Dils

Customizing Themes with Genesis for WordPress with Carrie Dils

Development Tools

Up and Running with Sublime Text 2 with Kevin Yank

Books​

JavaScript and JQuery: Interactive Front-End Web Development by Jon Duckett

CSS3: The Missing Manual by David Sawyer McFarland

HTML5: The Missing Manual by Matthew MacDonald

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score

The Hardest Thing About Learning How To Code​

178H.jpg

If memory serves, I've been learning how to code, the correct way, since the beginning of February - this year. That means that I've been at it for almost four full months. And when I say, "at it," I mean at it. Starting about two months ago, I began slowing down the pace of my video watching and began writing posts, on this website, that cover just about everything I'm learning. Sure, there's some guilt involved with not drowning myself in as much knowledge as I did at the start of this endeavor, but my retention rate has skyrocketed. When I used to take quizzes at the end of each lesson, I would score, on average, about 80% correct. Now, I score 100%. If I get something wrong, it's because I didn't read the question thoroughly. Either that, or the instructor didn't ask it correctly. I've grown accustomed to taking things quite literally and when a challenge is off by even a smidge, I get confused.

Now that I've got four months under my belt, I'd like to discuss a few things. Primarily, what the most difficult area about learning how to code is. Because there is one and believe it or not, it has nothing to do with actual code. That's fairly simple.

Back when I was in college - oh boy - in 1998, one of my IT professors warned my class of information overload. He said things like, "You're going to get too many emails in your email box." and "There will be various sources of the same information at every turn." Guess what - he was right. There is a ton of information and it's getting pretty tough to wade through it all.

Okay, let me tell you what I'm talking about and after I do that, I'll give you some examples to hammer my point home.

The hardest thing about learning how to code is sifting through all the stuff you really don't need to know right now and focusing, primarily on the basics.

I'll use an analogy to explain: I've been practicing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for about seven years. I'm a high purple belt and, trust me when I say this, I've seen all types of folks walk through the doors of the various schools I've trained. Of course, most of these people walked through as white belts, but a few blue and purples were thrown in the mix. Of those white belts, I would say a good 80% have tried to kill me during the open mat portion of class (generally at the end of techniques and drills). Why did they try to kill me? Well, I would blame the internet for that. It appears that many of these fine folks had been on Youtube and had somewhat trained themselves in our art. While rolling (sparring), they would jump on me, try to lay on me, attempt to roll over me and eventually try to submit me. I've been able to see this coming from a mile away for a while now, and since I'm a nice and gentle guy who tries my hardest to keep an inviting atmosphere, I go easy on the killer and simply try to hold them off. There have been those times though, where someone would get a little too rough and I'd have to put them in their place. Not bad or anything, but in their place they'd be.

What's the moral of this story? Well, when someone doesn't know squat about something, why in the heck are they going for the gold? Do they really think they are going to "tap out" a guy who's been doing something for over seven years? Train a bit, and then tap my skinny ass out.

When the journey of learning how to code begins, many of us wander over to Twitter with the intentions of making some friends and getting involved with what I like to call, "the industry." It seems like a logical thing to do, right? I mean, if one wants to learn how to do something, why not hang out with people who already know how to do that thing?

I did just that. A few weeks ago, I joined Twitter and set up a page. I began seeing things I was interested in, namely people and companies, and clicked their respective "follow" buttons. It didn't take long for my stream to populate with all sorts of interesting tweets, such as:

"Hackers attack the IRS 145M times a year! Yes, there will be a cyber security unit in our new high school course."

"Start building on Google Cloud Platform with $300 in credit."

"Synthesising Drum Sounds with the Web Audio API."

"Brands, content managers, and developers need to put more thought into when to use modals."

"WP REST API v2.0 Beta 2 is out with more than forty changes since Beta 1."

These are the five most recent tweets on my Twitter page. Remember, I've been at this for four months. Do you think I know what any of the above is referring to? No, I don't. And if I did, that means that I've seriously lost focus and have strayed to the dark side of coding - meaning, I've veered away from the basics and went after the cool stuff way too soon.

I blame capitalism for all this. No, seriously. There's motivation for people to create new tools and to compete with one another. That's why there are a zillion tools to help writing CSS and about ten times that to help write HTML. When I began all this, I had no idea that I didn't only need to learn JavaScript, but I also needed to learn jQuery and CoffeeScript. But wait, as long as we're talking about making JavaScript easier, why not head over and wrap our heads around GorillaScript and Uberscript? I mean heck, we've got time. Capitalism rewards innovation, but sometimes all innovation does is confuse the heck out of people who have no idea what to do next.

If I remember correctly, one of my primary motivations for digging back into code was to learn a bit more about CSS. I wanted to get up to snuff on all this "responsive web design." I had a few sites that needed help and I knew CSS was what would help them. I learned a few things, fixed my sites and continued on. Then, one day, as I was about half way through Treehouse's Sass course, I asked myself what in the world I was doing. Did I completely and utterly know everything there was to know about CSS? No. Could I write it so fluently that I was at the point of needing assistive software to help cut my production time? Did I even have a production time? No, no, no... If not, what the hell was I doing taking a course on Sass? Needless to say, I'm now back to learning CSS.

The same is true for JavaScript. Did I know JavaScript so well that I needed to quicken my pace? Did I need to learn jQuery and AJAX? Seriously? AJAX? What was I doing taking an AJAX course? Perhaps in a few years - when I'm all JavaScripted out.

Do you see where I'm going with this? Sure, there's really a bunch of cool tools out there that were created by extraordinarily talented people, but if I took the time out of my day to attempt to find out what even a portion of these tools attempted to accomplish, I'd be out of time. I'd have nothing left to learn how to create a form in HTML5. I wouldn't know what a descendant selector in CSS is, but perhaps I'd know how to install Sass on a Windows PC. I wouldn't know how to traverse the DOM with JavaScript, but I'd possibly know how to fork a repo on GitHub. Ugg.

I know I haven't been at it long, but I think I've been at it long enough. Long enough to offer a short piece of wisdom to someone who has a budding morsel of interest in web development. If I had to give one piece of advice, it would be to steer clear of the hype and to learn HTML, CSS, PHP and JavaScript, in that order. At least if they did that, they can begin working in WordPress. And if that was what they wanted to do, they'd most likely be able to totally skip the JavaScript part because in all my work in WordPress since years and years ago, I still haven't used JavaScript.