Search

How to Set the Photo Quality in your Canon Rebel DSLR Camera

• Thread starter EmeraldHike
  • Start date
EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Before participating in any type of photo shoot, it’s important to decide what kind of quality is necessary in your photographs. If you’re being paid, such as portrait, wedding and sport photographers oftentimes are, you’ll want to be sure to set your Canon Rebel to the highest quality output possible. Conversely, if you’re shooting to email your mom a picture of a flower on the sidewalk outside your apartment, you’ll likely want to choose something that offers much less quality.

Another important consideration is whether or not you plan on printing or cropping the photos you take. If you’re merely taking shots for digital use, such as for presentation on a blog or website, smaller sized images usually work well. But, if you’re planning on printing a photo or cropping a small section of one, you’ll definitely want to increase the quality as much as possible.

In today’s post, I’ll walk you through the steps necessary to locate, select and save your camera’s photo quality. We’ll look at both RAW and JPEG outputs and talk about why you might want to choose one over another. Once in the settings area, I’ll explain what each setting means. For this post, I’ll be using my trusted Canon Rebel T3i as the demo camera and I’ll be shooting with a Canon Rebel T2i. Really though, so many aspects of the cameras in the Canon Rebel line are similar, so you may be able to use what I share below with the other models, such as the T4i, T5i, T6i and the latest (at the time of this writing) T7i.

Pixels & Resolution​

Above, I mentioned the word “quality.” I think I made an assumption that everyone knows what I mean when I say that. I really shouldn’t. For example, let’s pretend that I was speaking to someone who has never had an interest in photography and I said to them, “Be sure you use the highest quality for this photo.” Would they know what I was talking about? Probably not. I should clarify.

Quality comes from the number of pixels that are utilized in a photo. A pixel is a physical point in an image. It’s the smallest addressable element. It’s the smallest controllable element of a picture represented on the screen.

If you are taking photos that use a very high number of pixels, that photo will most likely be of high quality (assuming the conditions are good and your camera is capable). Conversely, if you’re using a low number of pixels in your photos, those photos aren’t going to exhibit nearly the same quality as the previous ones.

When it comes to resolution, things get a bit more complex. There are many types, such as pixel resolution, spacial resolution, spectral resolution, temporal resolution and radiometric resolution. Luckily, most of these type are far beyond the scope of this post, but if you’re interested in learning about all the differences image resolution has to offer, simply search this forum.

Think of it this way. Every photograph has a dimension. Let’s say every photo is square, so the height and width are the same values. High quality photos might be 100 x 100 pixels, offering a resolution of 10,000. Medium quality photos might be 75 x 75 pixels, offering a resolution of 5,625 and low quality photos might be 50 x 50 pixels, offering a resolution of 2,500.

Now, if I take that total photo resolution and divide it by one million, I get what’s called a megapixel. The number of megapixels a camera offers usually represents the quality. See? It’s a big circle.

Just to finish up this section with a real world example – I’ll do a quick calculation using one of the quality settings that my T3i offers. On my camera, one of the Medium settings uses a pixel dimension of 3456 x 2304. So, if I multiply those two numbers together, I’ll get a value of 7,962,624. If I divide that number by 1,000,000, I’ll end up with 7.962624. Rounded up, we’ve got 8 megapixels.

So, next time you go shopping for a camera, look at the number of megapixels the camera offers. That is a quick indication of photo quality, among other things (features, dynamic range, etc…).

Finding the Quality Settings on a Canon Rebel T3i​

In this section, I’ll show you how to navigate to the Rebel’s quality settings. I’ll take a few photos of the camera and then talk about what’s going on.

To find the Quality settings, turn the camera on. Something like this should be showing on the LCD screen:

canon-rebel-t3i-live-view.jpg

Next, press the Menu button that’s located to the top left of the screen. This is what you’ll be looking at next:

canon-rebel-t3i-settings.jpg

After that, use the left and right arrows that are located to the right of the LCD screen to navigate to the screen that holds the Quality section. Once there, select that section by pressing the Set button that’s located in between the left and right arrows. This is the Quality screen:

canon-rebel-t3i-quality-settings.jpg

To browse and select a particular quality setting, simply use the arrows again to flip through each one of them and when you make a choice, press Set again. That will lock that setting in and you’ll be ready to begin shooting.

Choosing a Resolution Setting​

In this section, I’ll discuss what each of the quality settings in the Canon Rebel T3i mean. Now, even if you don’t own a Canon Rebel, these settings are somewhat universal, so just follow along. You’ll likely have the opportunity to make similar adjustments on your own camera.

To make things easier, I created a table to clearly display the pixel dimensions and corresponding megapixels for each available setting. If you take a look below, you’ll see what I’m referring to.

L – Large 5184 x 3456 (18 MP)
M – Medium – 3456 x 2304 (8 MP)
S1 – Small – 2592 x 1728 (4.5 MP)
S2 – Small 2 – 1920 x 1280 (2.5 MP)
S3 – Small 3 – 720 x 480 (0.35 MP)
RAW + L – Large 5184 x 3456 (18 MP)
RAW – 5184 x 3456 (18 MP)

If you’re photographing for print, use either the Large JPEG setting or the RAW one. This will give you the greatest resolution. If you’re printing an 8″x10″ card or photo, you can most likely get away with a Medium setting, but I would still use Large. If you’re shooting for the web, you can use either Small 1 or Small 2, but I would still use Large. I crop and wouldn’t want to be limited by physical image size.

The reason I say to use Large all the time is because the file size isn’t that different (in the grand scheme of things). Personally, I use a huge data card in my cameras and generally keep them clean of images. I’ve yet to run out of space. I have, however, taken photos that were too small and have regretted it.

If you look at the available settings above, you’ll notice the options for RAW down towards the bottom. This RAW designation differentiates those two settings from all the others. The top five settings all produce JPEG images, which are altered and compressed versions of a RAW image. I’ll talk about both of these formats below.

Before I do that, I want to mention that you can choose JPEG + RAW and your camera will capture the photo and process it into both file types. This is great if you need to use one type (JPEG) immediately and would like to edit the RAW when you have time later on.

The Difference Between JPEG & Raw​

Since this is sort of a deep topic that I haven’t covered yet, I decided to link to a few different outside posts that do a pretty good job of explaining what’s going on. Rest assured though, I’ll soon be writing and sharing my own interpretation of the issue.

In the most basic sense, when shooting RAW, you are taking advantage of flexibility and a much larger dynamic range than you would be if you were shooting JPEG. If you’re outside, this makes a huge difference. Believe it or not, I’ve found that with my type of indoor food photography, JPEG images actually produce better photographs. It requires experimentation on your end to weigh the pros and cons of each format.

Quality of Compression​

If you look at the last photo above – the one that shows the Quality screen – take notice of the small icons to the left of some of the JPEG settings. These icons either look like a smooth ramp or a staggered staircase. For the longest time, I wondered what these meant.

The highest quality JPEG setting says L and has an efficient quality compression. This is the one with the smooth triangle to the left of it. It’s the first one in the list and is described as 18M 5184 x 3456 [4031]. Translated, this means that the resolution is 18 megapixels with the dimensions of 5184 x 3456 and I can fit 4031 photos, at this setting, on my current memory card.

If I move one spot to the right and select the Large setting with the staggered staircase to the left of it, things slightly change. The staircase means that the compression is of a lower quality, resulting in a smaller file size. A lower quality compression is a lower quality photo. With this setting chosen, I see that while the resolution stays the same as the previous setting, I’m now able to fit 8115 photos on the memory card. This is nearly double, which is an indication of image quality.

I hope I’ve given you some background on camera quality settings. I could go on all day about this, but really, I need to stop at some point. If you have any questions, please leave them below. I’m always happy to help. Thanks!

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
Hey - I have the Canon T6 Rebel and whenever I zoom in on Photoshop, you can’t see all of the pixels. Do I need a better camera or am I just tripping?

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I am not sure what you are asking. Can you please be more clear?

Thank you.

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction Score
When you say you use a huge data card, what size is it? I’m a beginner and have a lot to learn.

Thanks,

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I believe I have a 64GB card right now. That’s pretty big and definitely large enough for me. Welcome to photography!

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
I'm new to photography. I think it will help my financial situation (by charging for photography), but I'm a bit scared. I just purchase the Canon T7i DSLR and I need any advice you can give. Thanks.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Welcome to the world of photography. Get out there and start taking some photos and I’m sure you’ll get up to speed quickly. Also, be sure to read through my posts. Hopefully you’ll learn more about your camera. Keep me posted on your progress.

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score
Hello. Would you please help me with something? I have a Canon Sl2 and I will be traveling soon. I plan to share these pictures on Facebook. 1- Do you recommend L ( The smooth triangle)? Do you think it will look good on Facebook given compression on their part? and 2 - What Aspect Ratio do you suggest for taking pictures on a Canon Sl2?

That is all for now and I thank you for your time.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I would go with the highest quality JPEG mode for your trip (yes, the smooth triangle). Facebook will compress the photos, as you said, but at least you’ll be sure that you’ve taken the best you can, barring RAW images (if your camera is capable of taking RAW, which I believe it is – for Facebook, you definitely don’t need RAW). As for the aspect ratio, I would use either 3:2 or 4:3 if you want a slightly taller image. I’m partial to 3:2 because I’ve been using that ratio forever. Good luck on your travels!

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
I’m preparing to start my first blog, and I use a Canon rebel SL1. I’m not sure what setting I should set my camera/photo setting at (L, M, S???) in order to have WordPress quality photos that won’t slow my site/download slowly. I want the photos to be fairly large (for reference can you look at my site to see the size of photo I’d like my site to use).

Can you help? Thank you so much!

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
I pretty much always use the highest quality JPEG setting on my Canon Rebel camera for my blogs. Then, I load the images into Photoshop or another photo processing application and reduce them to 700 pixels wide. In your case, your site calls for photos of at least 756 pixels wide. You could reduce your images to 800 and your blog theme will likely shrink them appropriately. You definitely don’t want to load full resolution images into your blog as that will really slow things down. For your specific camera, I believe the “Small” setting is too small. You could use the “Medium” setting and then shrink those images down. Use anything as long as it’s larger than the 756 pixels wide and then reduce the size. I hope this helps.

KristinaW

KristinaW

Reaction Score
Thanks so much! That’s all very helpful information for me to get started! I appreciate the detail…I need all the advice. :))

Starting a new blog is a little daunting, but I’m trying to also consider it a new ‘adventure’. Have a great weekend!

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Thanks for the comment and good luck with your blog!

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
I am taking photos for office ID’s and they have set the below requirements:
• JPG/JPEG format
• Between 50KB and 200KB in Size
o Minimum 480 X 640 pixels (1.6” X 2.13”)
o Maximum 1200 X 1600 pixels (4” X 5.33”)
• Not blurry or pixelated

I cannot figure out if my Canon Rebel can make the pixel requirement work. Any hints..? Is it possible?

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
This depends on what model Rebel you’re dealing with. On my T7i, none of the image quality options go that small. You’ll most likely need to take the photos with the highest quality (or any quality for that matter) and then reduce the size in an image editor such as Photoshop. Inside of the editor, you’ll see the pixel size and the KBs. I hope this helps. This is simple image size reduction in an editor.

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
I have a Canon EOS Rebel T3i.
For portraits – mostly outdoor – do you recommend the JPEG Large (smooth) or Raw setting? Or should I just put the dial on Portrait? I will need to produce 8×10 and 11×14 portraits?
Thank you for your time and help.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Always use RAW format when you can. You’ll have much more flexibility with that format and you can always reduce quality as opposed to increasing quality. The JPEG format is a compressed one, so you’ll have less leeway when it comes time to edit. Of course, you’ll need a RAW editor such as Adobe Camera Raw or Lightroom, but that comes with Adobe’s Photographer package. It doesn’t matter what you’re shooting – RAW is the way to go. The next best option is the largest and highest quality JPEG.

Newman

Newman

Reaction Score
HI! Is there any use at all for the S3 setting? It sounds like that would be too small for any kind of use, so why is it an option in the first place?

(I accidentally took some photos in that setting and they all came out terribly grainy/out of focus).

Thanks!

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Which camera do you have? I just looked at my T7i and it only goes down to the S2 setting. But yes, you are correct. I can’t imagine a use for that setting. The photos would be so small. It’s especially of no use since you can always adjust quality down in an image editor. I’m thinking that Canon will phase those smaller quality settings out over time.

Thanks for the comment!

CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
SUPER helpful walk through!! I’ve owned my Rebel T3i since 2014 and have been using it on default settings, afraid to dive into the technical settings . This article explained exactly what I needed in a very easy and clear way and I feel less intimidated to continue learning. Thank you.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
No problem Tali! I’m glad you found use in the article and I wish you the best of luck with your photography!

15Katey

15Katey

Reaction Score
Hi. I’m sitting with my camera while reading your post. Lol I have a canon rebel t5i. I am wanting to take pictures of my art to send off to an online art print reproduction company. I have been sending my art off to be photographed but its expensive. I’m wanting to take my own. They want non raw, 8 bit, 72dpi, high quality photographs. I took ine yesterday, painting was a 24×30. I used a tripod outside overcast with my painting fixed in place. They said the photo was large but blurry. I shot in Raw+L floral setting. Blurry help. Im thinking portrait L smooth triangle. Yes? No? Also my camera shoots 24 bit. Im think thats probably ok. Thanks.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
First off, your art is beautiful. I took a look at your website and I really like it. Nice job. Now, to your question. Go into your camera’s menu and choose the highest quality JPEG. That should be the first option inside of the Image Quality menu area. It’s the smooth triangle with the L next to it. On my T7i, it says the photo will be 24M at 6000×4000 pixels. That should be fine. It’s actually the highest quality JPEG available.

Next, turn your camera to Program mode. That’s the P on the dial. You can even do Auto mode if you want. In Program mode, the flash won’t pop up by itself. That’s why I like to use it. Then, go ahead and take your photo. Make sure your painting is flat, facing the camera. Meaning, set up so your painting is completely flat so when you take the photograph, you’re pointing directly at the painting and there are no angles or anything. I’m concerned about a shallow depth of field creating some softness. You don’t need to use any sort of special auto mode, such as a floral setting or anything like that.

I’m wondering why your images came out blurry. Be sure to use manual focus so you can dial in precisely and take your shot. I hope this helps.

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
Greetings. I have no idea whether you are still active on this site. However, my camera is the Rebel T1i )EOS 500D).

For years, ever since I acquired it ,it has been capturing images at a resolution of 72. I want to change the res to 300. I have followed every step to the letter in the manual for changing to the highest quality resolution but it is to no avail. The images are still captured at 72.

The situation is the same with my older Canon Powershot. Also captures images at 72. I followed all the steps in the manual for that camera, for changing to the highest quality resolution. (I realize there is no number 300 showing in the camera.) and it continues to end up with a resolution for 72.

I believe I am doing everything correctly. There must be something else going on with both cameras. Can you suggest what it might be?

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Don’t quote me on this, but I believe you’ll need to set your camera to take RAW photos as opposed to JPG ones. Again, don’t quote me on this, but I think RAW photos are taken at a higher bit rate and thus, give you that 300 dpi you’re after. JPG images are compressed at a lower bit rate and only offer 72 dpi. Let me know what happens.

PS – I just took a look at a few RAW shots from my Canon T7i and they were 300 dpi.

JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction Score
My picture quality is not good in my Canon 200D. I have set the photos to large, but my picture quality is 5MB or 2MB only. Please help me.

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Are you asking how to change your camera’s photo quality? If so, the instructions for doing so are in this post. If you’re having a specific issue, can you please describe it more clearly? Are you seeing the variety of quality options available in your camera? For the highest quality JPEG image, you should choose the very first option. If you’d like to shoot with RAW, then choose the very last option. If doing this though, you’ll need to edit your images in an editor that can handle RAW files. Please let me know.

CampFireJack

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
Hello!

I am wondering if you would be able to help me? i own the canon 750D not sure what rebel model that is but i feel im loosing performance with it. I take quite a range of photographs from landscapes, portrait to sports, mainly animal portraits, performance horses, and moto cross.

I took photos at royal highland show 2019 and my photo quality was fantastic. i took photos in the main arena (from a spectators seat!) where i needed to zoom in and most photos were great quality. i always shoot in raw. My lens is the 35-350mm L series and i love it but lately my photos are showing out of focus or grainy. To make sure it wasn’t just me i went back to using sport mode on auto focus (what i used at highland show) and used manual focus too and both were not very great. I was photographing a show jumping event. no tripod but i stood very still it was not windy and still my photos are poor quality. do you think i would need to send my camera away or my lens to get checked by a professional? i have now got a few events to do and im not so confident my photo quality will be up to scratch. also iv noticed this camera does not like it when the weather is dull is there any way around that?

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score
Thank you for this article and for clarifying photo quality for all of us novices!
I have had my quality set on large (4272 x 2848 ) for quite some time now ( I have a canon EOS rebel T3. I am also a food photographer, but have found that once I transfer them onto my computer, then edited them on lightroom, exported the edited versions back onto my computer and then uploaded the images onto googledrive for sharing ( I have read that google drive does not compress photos whatsover) I have found that the photo dimensions are much smaller and of lesser quality ( 724 x1086) and these have not been cropped at all. Am I missing something here? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

EmeraldHike

EmeraldHike

Reaction Score
Somewhere along the lines, the photos are being reduced in size. I suspect it’s the output settings in Lightroom. Go ahead and check them. Also, to test where this is happening, remove the photos from your camera and then open one in Lightroom. Check the dimensions. Then, do your editing in Lightroom, export the image, and don’t upload it anywhere or do anything else. Just check the dimensions again. See if they’ve been reduced. If they have, then Lightroom is where it’s occurring. You’ll just need to edit your export settings there. I’m sure this is what’s happening. Let me know what you find.