Search

How to Add Homepage Meta Description with Yoast SEO Plugin

• Thread starter CraigHardy
  • Start date
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
When I first installed my WordPress website, I added the homepage meta description to the Settings > General > Tagline field. That showed up fine in the page code, but ever since I installed the Yoast SEO plugin, the meta description disappeared. It's no longer in the code and I have no idea how to put it back. It's like the tagline doesn't exist anymore.

Does anyone know how to add a meta description for a WordPress website while using the Yoast plugin?

WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
Once you install and activate the Yoast SEO plugin, the content of the Site Title and Tagline fields under Settings > General no longer has any effect on the homepage code. In order to update or add some text to that page, you'll need to visit the actual page in question in the Pages section. Once in that section, click through to your page and then scroll down past the content area. You should see the big Yoast box. It looks like this:

wordpress-yoast-page-seo-box.gif

Fill in the SEO Title and Meta Description fields and then save the page. If you check the outside of your website, you should see the code will have changed as well.