Search

Electric Smell & Smoke Coming from Back of Oven

• Thread starter WendyMay
  • Start date
WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
I have a problem. A while back, I noticed that the large front burner on my Kenmore stove wasn't turning on until I turn the knob to at least the #4 position. Anything higher than that works fine. There didn't seem to be any other problems with the entire stovetop oven. Last week, I pulled the oven out to clean behind it. When I pushed it back into position after cleaning and used the stove, I'd see a light wisp of smoke coming from behind the oven and that smoke smelled like something electric or plastic burning. I figured it was the large stove switch that was malfunctioning, so I pulled the oven out again to remove the back cover. I did that and kept the oven plugged in (it's electric). I then turned the switch and saw a small spark just as it passed the #4 position. I thought that was the issue, so I ordered a new switch as a replacement.

A few days later, I replaced the switch and then tried to use the oven. The switch works great, but I noticed that the light in the oven wouldn't turn on when I opened the oven door and when I closed the door, a light "buzz" would sound. Sort of like when the power goes out and then comes back on. The oven will buzz. The oven doesn't work either. But then, when I pulled the oven back out again to check things out, it worked. But when I pushed it back in, it doesn't work anymore. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

KodyWallice

KodyWallice

Reaction Score
WendyMay said:
I have a problem. A while back, I noticed that the large front burner on my Kenmore stove wasn't turning on until I turn the knob to at least the #4 position. Anything higher than that works fine. There didn't seem to be any other problems with the entire stovetop oven. Last week, I pulled the oven out to clean behind it. When I pushed it back into position after cleaning and used the stove, I'd see a light wisp of smoke coming from behind the oven and that smoke smelled like something electric or plastic burning. I figured it was the large stove switch that was malfunctioning, so I pulled the oven out again to remove the back cover. I did that and kept the oven plugged in (it's electric). I then turned the switch and saw a small spark just as it passed the #4 position. I thought that was the issue, so I ordered a new switch as a replacement.

A few days later, I replaced the switch and then tried to use the oven. The switch works great, but I noticed that the light in the oven wouldn't turn on when I opened the oven door and when I closed the door, a light "buzz" would sound. Sort of like when the power goes out and then comes back on. The oven will buzz. The oven doesn't work either. But then, when I pulled the oven back out again to check things out, it worked. But when I pushed it back in, it doesn't work anymore. Any ideas as to what might be going on?
It sounds like you've got a bad connection somewhere. I had the same problem once and after I found no issues with any of the circuit boards or switches, I found a bad power connection. Check yours out.

WendyMay

WendyMay

Reaction Score
Thank you! I just pulled the oven back out and checked the connections between the oven and the cord (220 amp plug) that plugs into the wall. Each of the three wires was loose and part of the plastic connection was melted. I'm guessing that was causing the smoke and the bad smell. I think the loose connections were getting so hot that they melted the plastic and caused intermittent power, disrupting continuous service. Incredible. I'd love to know how those came loose or if they were ever tightened properly in the first place. I appreciate your help. Now my oven and rangetop works perfectly!