Search

How to Edit Menu in WordPress

• Thread starter JodyBuchanan
  • Start date
JodyBuchanan

JodyBuchanan

Reaction Score
One of my websites was inherited by me from someone who made it a number of years ago. It's a WordPress website that's fully functional and complete. There is a primary menu that sits at the top of the website and a secondary menu for the footer. I'd like to delete one of the primary menu pages and replace it with a different page that's not currently linked from that location. Is this possible? How do I edit a menu in WordPress?

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
If you haven't already, I suggest you read these posts regarding menus in WordPress. They'll teach you a lot:

https://gaulard.com/forum/threads/32/
https://gaulard.com/forum/threads/22/

As far as editing your menu goes, you can follow these instructions to get the job done. The entire task is easy, no matter what you'd like to do. There are only a few steps.

To start off, make sure you're logged into your WordPress account. Then, navigate to Appearance > Customize > Menus and click the menu you'd like to edit. Both of yours should be listed. Once inside that area, you should see the links (pages, categories, tags, custom links) that are visible in your menu.

wordpress-primary-menu.gif

If you'd like to edit the link text that people click on when browsing your website, you can click the small down arrow that's on the right side of the link container. There's a field in there that's editable. To edit, simply type new text and then click the up arrow that appeared after you clicked the down arrow.

wordpress-edit-menu-text.gif

You'll also notice that when you hover your mouse over one of the links, the mouse changes to a cross that indicates the link can be dragged. To reorder the links in your menu, click and drag the link in question up or down, left or right and then drop it in the new position that appears. You may also click the Reorder button to accomplish the same thing, but by clicking the up, down, left, and right arrows that appear.

Down below the link menu are a few options that have to do with menu position on the website. All of the built-in positions will be available to you and you may use one menu for multiple locations. You also have the option of automatically adding pages to the menu as they're created in the pages section of the admin.

wordpress-menu-locations-options.gif

As you stated, you'd like to remove an existing link from your menu and add another existing page to it. To accomplish this, click the Add Items button. When you do this, a panel will extend from the right side of the Customizer. To remove a link from the menu, click the red x that's to the right of the link name. Then, to add a link from any part of your site, expand the box (in this case, Pages) and then click the + symbol to the left of the link name in the right panel. Clicking the + sign will add the link to the menu. You'll then need to move it around so it's in the correct order.

wordpress-customizer-menu-administration.gif

When you're finished, click the blue Publish button up top and you should be good to go.