Search

Renaming Files in Adobe Bridge

• Thread starter Phoenix1
  • Start date
Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
I like to compare browsing files in Adobe Bridge with browsing files in Windows. The only thing that’s different between the two is that Adobe Bridge works out at the gym and Windows doesn’t. Bridge has got some serious muscle. It can do things that Windows can’t – and probably shouldn’t. Seriously, Windows has got enough to think about while Bridge is a targeted application for photographers and designers. Bridge can make life easier for all who choose to learn of its power.

In this post, I’m going to cover one slice of what Bridge can accomplish and that slice is how to rename files. I’m going to talk about how to rename individual files as well as how to do the same thing, but to a whole bunch at a time. I’ll also go over how to set naming conventions and how to save those conventions as presets. It’s all rather simple, so read on!

How To Rename An Individual File​

The first thing we need to do is to open Bridge and then dig into the folder where the files we’d like to rename reside. If you aren’t sure how to open files in Adobe Bridge, please read my previous post on that topic. In this case, as you can see, I’ve already got my folder open. I’m looking at some photos I took of the “New England Submission Only” Jiu-Jitsu tournament in April of 2013.

browsing-files-in-adobe-bridge.jpg

Okay, if you’d like to rename a single image in Bridge, all you need to do is to click once on the thumbnail itself and then click again on the file name. Once the file name changes to a white editable field, you can go ahead and type in its new name. Once you’re finished, you can either hit “Enter” or “Tab” to end your editing or to move on to the next image in line, respectively.

rename-single-image-adobe-bridge.jpg

And that, my friends, is how you rename an image or file in Bridge. The thing is, when was the last time you opened only one image or had the desire to rename a single file? Probably never. If you’re a photographer, you most likely will have taken tons of photos that were named something like “IMG_3456…,” or something like that. You’d probably have a collection of images you’d like to rename. Ahh, Bridge can help you with that as well. By the way, if you haven’t downloaded your photos from your camera yet, you can rename them as you’re downloading. Check out my post on that too.

How To Rename Multiple Files​

This is actually an easy process. To rename multiple files simultaneously, you’ll need to select those files (thumbnails). To select random files, click the first one and then hold down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard and then continue clicking on the files you’d like to rename. You’ll end up with something that looks like this screenshot.

selecting-random-thumbnails-adobe-bridge.jpg

If you’ve got a bunch of files that are all listed one after another, simply click the first one and then hold down the “Shift” key on your keyboard and click on the last file in the series. This will select all of them and give you something that looks like this screenshot.

selecting-series-of-files-adobe-bridge.jpg

If you’ve got a whole lot of files and don’t feel like scrolling, you can simply click “Ctrl + A” on your keyboard to select every file you have displayed from your current directory.

Once you’ve got your files selected that you’d like to rename, head up to the “Tools > Batch Rename” menu and give it a click.

tools-batch-rename-menu-adobe-bridge.jpg

Upon completing that, you’ll be presented with the “Batch Rename” dialog box that offers some renaming options.

batch-rename-dialog-box-adobe-bridge.jpg

Now, here’s where things get really cool. If you take a look at the options presented, you’ll see that you have the ability to rename your files and keep them in the same directory, rename them and move them to another directory or rename them and copy them to another directory. It’s up to you to do what you feel is necessary.

Personally, I enjoy the fact that we’re given the opportunity to really dig into creating some interesting and flexible file names inside the “New Filenames” section.

I think the easiest way to get an understanding of how this section works is to look at each drop-down box at the beginning of each line and then look at each variable in the field that’s to the right of the drop-down. After that, check out the “Preview” section at the bottom and compare your original file name to the one that’s proposed. In my case, I’ve got an original file name of:

IMG_1884.JPG

and the proposed file name is:

PROJECT_20130406_0001.JPG.

This is just from using the default settings. So, the way things are currently set up, Bridge wants to name each file that I’ve selected “Project.” After that, it wants to separate additional characters with an “_” (underscore). Next, it wants to append the date the photo was taken, using a specific date configuration. Another underscore and finally, we get the first number of a four digit sequence. If you compare that output with the drop-down boxes and variable fields, you’ll see how easy it is to set up your own naming convention. And what’s even more super-duper cool is that the preview file name updates as you change the variables in “New Filenames” section. If you need to add or take away sections of the new proposed file name, all you need to do is click the “+” or “” button at the end of its line. Again, this is updated in real time as well.

Once everything is set the way you’d like it, go ahead and click the “Rename” button over to the right and you’ll see Bridge rename your selected files the way you specified. It’s that simple.

Saving a Naming Convention​

Let’s say that you’ve got your heart set on a particular naming convention and you think you’ll use that same, or a similar, convention for many of your photo collections. I think we all agree that updating the batch rename box each and every time you want to name files is a drag. This is where “saving” a naming convention comes into play.

If you’d like to save a custom naming convention in Adobe Bridge, go ahead and click the “Save” button in the “Batch Rename” dialog box once you’re finished creating your desired configuration. After you click save, you’ll see a box that will let you fill in the preset name of your choice. Fill in the field, click “OK” and you’ll have your saved naming convention waiting for you whenever you need it.

saving-naming-convention-adobe-bridge.jpg

To retrieve your convention the next time you’d like to use it, simply select it from the “Preset” drop-down box in the “Presets” section.

batch-rename-resets-adobe-bridge.jpg

To delete a preset that you’re not interested in using, go ahead and choose the preset and then click “Delete” over to the right. That will remove that preset from the drop-down box.

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
Thank you for your article. Do you know if it is possible to do a batch rename with if then statements?

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
CraigHardy

CraigHardy

Reaction Score
Good evening! Just curious if this will work with video files, as well? I often want to renumber clips shot from multiple cameras, so they line up with the camera from which they were shot. I’m also curious how this process affects metadata files that typically accompany the video files themselves.

Thank you!!

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score
Since Bridge works with image as well as video files, I’m fairly certain that this method will work with both. As for the affect on the metadata that accompanies those video files, I’m not sure what will happen. If you experiment with any of this, please report your findings back here. I will tell you that when working with larger video files in Bridge, things get VERY slow. I don’t use Bridge often for this purpose just because of that reason. If you would like to though, I suggest having a lot of RAM on your machine. Thanks!

Phoenix1

Phoenix1

Reaction Score

How to Batch Rename Video Files in Adobe Bridge​

I recently wrote a post that had to do with storyboarding video files in Adobe Bridge. Basically, storyboarding is the simple arrangement of files in such a way that they make sense when you need them. When working with video, as I mentioned in my last post, the last thing you want to have to do is hunt around for a file. Organization is key and Adobe Bridge is her to help us in that regard.

By the way, if you’re interested in reading that previous post, check it out below.

How to Storyboard Video Files in Adobe Bridge

In today’s post, I’d like to go one step further and actually rename the files that were placed in order. I’ll be using a few demo video clips that I have that I already lined up in sequence as they would play in the final file. At this point, I’d like to rename each file to make things even more clear. If I had 100 files and I storyboarded them in Bridge and then something happened, such as me having to work on a different computer, I sure would want to have the files renamed so they make sense. I could perhaps name them as a number sequence and then tack on a descriptive project title. If the files were numbered, I could go ahead and sort them the regular way the next time I had to work with them. I’ll go over the process below.

Storyboarding Video Files​

To start off with, I’ll quickly order the demo video files I’ll be using for this post in the proper sequence. I’ll follow the directions I gave in another post and drag and drop the files, while in the Filmstrip view, into position.

This will be the first video in the list.

first-video.jpg

filmstrip-view.jpg

Now that the files are in order, I can move on to renaming them for the reasons I gave above.

Batch Renaming Video Files in Bridge​

To rename files all at once, I’ll first need to select which files I’d like to be affected. So, in the Filmstrip portion of the Bridge workspace, I’ll click on the first file in the sequence, hold down the Shift key on my keyboard and then click on the last file in the sequence. The files will turn light gray to indicate they’ve been selected.

selected-files-adobe-bridge.jpg

Next, I’ll head up to the Tools menu item and click on Batch Rename.

tool-batch-rename.jpg

After I do that, the Batch Rename dialog box will appear.

batch-rename-dialog-box.jpg

Since I already wrote a post that went into the same topic and that was fairly in depth, I won’t repeat all the fine details here. If you’d like to read more on the finer points of how to rename multiple files in Bridge, please visit this post:

Renaming Multiple Files at Once in Adobe Bridge

What I’d like to do is to simply go about the process of renaming the files I’m interested in today.

Destination Folder

I happen to have this demo folder with the video files in it on my desktop. Because I don’t want to change the original files, I’ll elect to copy the files to a new folder and have them renamed there. In order to do this, I’ll head into the Destination Folder area of the Batch Rename dialog and select Copy To Other Folder.

copy-to-other-folder.jpg

Next, I’ll click the Browse button directly below that selection, navigate to the Desktop > Video Sequence folder and click OK to apply that change.

New Filenames

The next section is called New Filenames. It controls how the final file names will appear. Since I’ve got only a few clips, I was thinking I could start off with some text with an underscore included and then have that text followed by a number. I want the files to look something like this:

Driving_Video-01.mp4
Driving_Video-02.mp4
Driving_Video-03.mp4
etc…

Since the dialog box opened up with four optional fields in play, I’ll remove two of them by clicking the small “” signs that sit to the right of the fields.

remove-field.jpg

Once I have only two fields remaining, I’ll edit them so they fit my needs. I’ll keep the first drop-down set at Text. In the field to the right of that, I’ll type the text that I’d like to see applied to every file. In this case, it’ll be Driving_Video_.

For the next row, I’ll click the drop-down and select Sequence Number. Then, inside the next field to the right, I’ll type in what number I’d like the filenames to begin. In this case, it’ll be 01. Finally, for the third field in this row, I’ll choose Two Digits, because I have fewer than 100 files to apply this naming convention to.

As I work in this section, I can see what the file names will look like down in the Preview section. Take a look.

preview.jpg

Options

There are a few choices to make in the Options section. Because it’s always a good idea to save as much working information about files as possible, be sure to check the box with the text Preserve Current Filename in XMP Metadata next to it. Also, Bridge should automatically select which type of computer you’re working on, so you shouldn’t have to worry too much about the compatibility of the renamed files.

options.jpg

Renaming the Files​

When finished with all that, simply press the Rename button in the upper right corner of the dialog box and Bridge will do the rest.

copying-renaming-files.jpg

Once the process is finished, which usually only takes a few seconds, you can open up the folder in question to see the renamed files. Check this out.

video-sequence-folder.jpg

If I wanted to see the new files via Bridge, I could navigate to the folder that way. Take notice of the filenames.

renamed-bridge-view.jpg

I’d say that’s pretty cool, not to mention highly effective.

——

I hope I clearly explained how you can batch rename many files at once using Adobe Bridge. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this post, please let me know below. Thanks for reading!