Search

Adding Blending Modes to Text for Video in Adobe Photoshop

• Thread starter Cameron
  • Start date
Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score
This is an “idea” post. There really isn’t going to be much to it other than an idea for you to incorporate into a video project of your own. Basically, I want to show you how you can add an effect to some text while editing video in Adobe Photoshop and then how to change the blending mode of that text so you can sort of see through it as the video is progressing behind it. While this is a simple and straightforward technique, it may prove valuable if needed in the future when the time comes.

In today’s post, I’d like to launch a video clip into Adobe Photoshop. After that, I’ll write out some text. Since the video will have to do with cars driving in various city locations, I think I’ll write something like “CITY STREETS.” I’ll then color the text black and add an outer glow to it so it stays visible throughout the entire clip. Finally, I’ll apply a blending mode to the text for a really cool effect. Again, this will be a simple technique, but I think you’ll agree that it has the potential for some incredible effects.

The Demo Video Clip​

Let’s see if I can grab a decent screen capture of the video clip for you. I just want to show you the general scenery that will be going on today.

video-screenshot.jpg

Ah, there we go. I think that looks pretty good. Basically, the video transitions, in fast motion, between different areas of a city with cars whizzing by at seemingly blazing speeds.

Adding an Adjustment Layer​

I’ve decided that this video could do with a bit more contrast, so I’ll add an adjustment layer to bring some of that out. To do this, I’ll first right-click on the Video Group 1 layer and then when the menu appears, I’ll click on the Ungroup Layers option. Doing this will remove the grouping and will leave the video layer all alone. If I didn’t do this, the video clip and the adjustment would run sequentially. I don’t want that. I want them to run in parallel with the adjustment as a layer over the video.

ungroup-layers.jpg

After that, I’ll head up to the Adjustments panel and I’ll click on the Levels adjustment icon.

levels-adjustment-icon.jpg

And finally, I’ll choose the Increase Contrast 2 option from the Presets drop-down box in the Properties panel.

increase-contrast-2.jpg

That will give me the contrast I’m looking for.

Adding Text & Layer Effect​

The next thing I’ll do is add the text. To do this, I’ll activate the Horizontal Type Tool in the left toolbar.

horizontal-type-tool.jpg

I’ll then type out the phrase, “CITY STREETS.” Once the text is written, I’ll open the Character panel and set the Font Size to 250 pt, the Color to Black, the Font to Impact and the Tracking to -50. These are just values I thought looked good on my machine. If you’re following along, choose something that suits you. Just make sure the text is large and that it runs across the entire screen.

Here’s a screenshot of the text. It’s chopped off at both ends, but just ignore that. The video is wider than the screen capture.

text.jpg

Now I’ll add a glow effect around the letters of the text. I’ll double-click on an empty area of the text layer in the Layers panel and when the Layer Style dialog box appears, I’ll click the Outer Glow option in the left column. Inside of the Outer Glow area to the right, I’ll change a few values until I see something I like.

layer-style-settings.jpg

When I’m finished in there, I’ll click on the OK button to apply the style (or effect – whatever you want to call it). This is the type of white glow I’ll end up with that surrounds the black text.

glow.jpg

I’ll also make sure that this text layer runs until the end of the video. If it doesn’t, I’ll go down to the Timeline panel to click and drag it’s leading edge to the end.

timeline-layer.jpg

Applying the Blending Mode​

I did all that work just for this section. And this section is only one step. Basically, what I’d like to do is apply a blend mode that makes the text somewhat transparent. The one that I discovered does this best is called Soft Light. I’ll head over to the Layers panel and choose that blending mode from the drop-down and once I do that, I’ll see the text change. Take a look at this.

transparent.jpg

If you think that looks cool, just wait until you see the video in action. At this point, I can go ahead and export this video file. Let’s see what we end up with.

I love that effect. Now, it’s your job to take this concept and apply it to one of your own projects. Let me know what you come up with.

I hope I clearly explained how to add a blending mode to text while working with video in Adobe Photoshop. If you have any questions regarding this post, please let me know in the comment section down below. Thanks for reading!

Cameron

Cameron

Reaction Score

Really Cool Masking Text Effect For Video in Adobe Photoshop​

Have you ever seen a video where an object, whether it be a thing or some text, reveals itself from behind another object? I’m sure you have; we all have. These instances are akin to magic if you’re not well versed in the world of video production. For the longest time, I wondered how the effect was accomplished. I always thought, whatever the method, it must have been challenging.

What if I told you that this type of effect is easily accomplishable (if that’s even a word) in less than ten minutes while using an application such as Adobe Photoshop? Guess what. It’s true. Having something slide out from behind something else in video is so simple to do. And the concept behind the trick is even easier to understand than engaging in the labor necessary to finish the project. I’m quite excited to share this type of thing with you because I already know you’re going to love it.

In today’s post, I’m going to use a video clip of some water, a mountain range and some stars in the sky moving in the background. Since the water and mountain range will be stationary, I’ll use these two elements as the objects the text moves up from behind. The text I’ll be using will be similar in setup as the text I wrote about in my previous post. If you aren’t familiar with that post, please take a look at it before going any further.

Adding Blending Modes to Text For Video in Adobe Photoshop

The Demo Video​

While you’ll certainly see the final video down below, I at least want you to see what part of it looks like now. Check this out.

stars.jpg

Basically, the stars in the sky will be moving in a time lapse fashion. I’ll make it so the words “NIGHT SKY” rise up from behind the mountains. It’s going to be so cool.

Adding the Text​

As I just mentioned, the text I’ll add will follow the same concept as the text I wrote about previously. I’ll use the same font and everything, but this time, I’ll make the size 300 and the tracking 100. That will make the letters cover more area.

Take a look at the text over the video. I plan on having the text position begin down at the bottom of the screen and then move up into the stars, where it will sit for the remaining time in the clip.

text-over-water.jpg

Animating the Text​

As I’ve already explained, I’d like the text to rise up from the water into the sky. The way I’ll accomplish this is by adding a few animation keyframes to the Timeline panel. To get started, I’ll head down there and click the small arrow that sits to the left of the layer name.

arrow.jpg

After the animation options are revealed, I’ll make sure the playhead is at the beginning of the video and I’ll click the Transform stopwatch (to the left of the word “Transform”). That will create the first keyframe. After that, I’ll move the playhead to the time at which I’d like the text to cease movement. In this case, since the entire clip is about 13 seconds long, I figure the four second mark is about right for the text to stop in the sky. I’ll hold down the Shift key on my keyboard so the text stays aligned vertically with its beginning position and I’ll drag it to its final destination. After I let go of my mouse, the second keyframe will appear.

keyframes.jpg

For a very thorough explanation of how to use keyframes for animation in Photoshop, please click through to the post below.

How to Use Keyframes For Animation with Video in Adobe Photoshop

Masking Out the Text Behind the Mountains​

This is where things get fun. My goal is to mask out the text behind the mountains. To do this, I’ll need to first click on the video layer in the Layers panel to activate it. Then, I’ll head over to the left toolbar and I’ll click on the Quick Selection Tool to make it active.

quick-selection-tool.jpg

I’ll resize the tool and then click and drag it over the area of the mountains and water until those areas are selected.

selection.jpg

Now that the area I’d like to hide the text behind is selected, (making sure the playhead is back at the 0:00 time again) I’ll go back to the Layers panel and click to select the text layer. Then, I’ll visit the Layer > Layer Mask > Hide Selection menu item and click.

layer-mask-hide-selection.jpg

When I do this, I’ll see two things happen. First, I’ll see the text seemingly disappear. That’s not a concern because I know it’s just masked out. Second, I’ll see the new mask appear in the Layers panel. Because I chose to hide the selection, the mask will be black at the bottom and white at the top. Also, since it’s the text layer that has the mask attached to it, it’s the text that will be hidden while in the lower part of the video and visible while at the top.

layers-panel.jpg

In the above screenshot, I’m showing you the layers contained in the Layers panel At the top is the text layer with the mask attached to it. Right below that, you can see the effects applied to the text. Below that is an adjustment layer I added earlier to make the video appear with slightly more contrast than the original and at the bottom is the video itself.

Fixing the Layer Style Error​

I just took a look at the text animation and almost everything is perfect. There is one small problem though. Take a look at this:

style-bleed.jpg

If you look at the above screenshot, you’ll see that as the text rises in the sky from behind the mountains, the glow effect bleeds into the mountains themselves (the edge of the mask). I don’t want this to happen, so I’ll need to deal with it now. To separate the layer style from the mask, I’ll double click on the text layer in the Layers panel. This will open the Layer Style dialog box. Inside the dialog, I’ll click on Blending Options in the left column. Then, in the Advanced Blending area, I’ll check the box that says Layer Mask Hides Effects. The moment I do that, I’ll see that style bleed disappear. Finally, I can export the video and take a look at the genius that’s been created.

blending-options.jpg

Now let’s check out the video.

I hope I clearly explained how to use masks in Adobe Photoshop video to create layer effects, such as having one object transition (seemingly) from behind another object. If you have any questions regarding this post, please leave them in the comment area below. Thanks for reading!